Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

A electric kiln rated 208 8.4 KW single phase is supplied by…

A electric kiln rated 208...
A electric kiln rated 208 8.4 KW single phase is supplied by a 60 ampre rated branch circuit the branch circuit it is extended using 6 AWG 2 type MC cable the conductors in the cable are copper the total length of the branch circuit is 80 feet what is the approximate percentage voltage drop in the branch circuits assume k=12.8
3/26/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) A 208 supply voltage on an 80 foot run using 6 AWG copper conductors with a 60 amp breaker results in a voltage drop percentage of 1.9% or a loss of 4 volts at the end of the 80 foot run.

The options are
A. 1.5%
B.3%
C.3.5%
D4%

1) 1.5% would be the closest choice

1) 2/0 AWG copper. The total motor loads = 200 amps. 2/0 AWG copper is rated @ 200 amps.

B. 2/0 AWG?

Yes

1) This is a trick question since 350 kcm type THHN conductors are not included in table 310.15(B)(16). THHN conductors are rated using 90 degrees and not rated at 75 degrees. If using the 75 degree rating, a 350 kcm conductor is rated at 310 amps. Multiply 310 amps x 3 = 930 amps. I would say the answer is (D) 1000 amps.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

I have a lot more Togo how long can you help me tonight?

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to stay on the web site. I need to get to bed as I need to wake up early (4:00am) in the morning for work.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Ok can we do more tomorrow sorry I’m just not able to study easily right now my son is in the hospital sick and my teacher let me take home my test
Can you help on some more questions

Unfortunately I am not able to assist during the week. If you have some additional questions over the weekend, I can help out.

School started last week where I teach an electrical class at a local college and I am busy with school during the afternoon and evening hours.

Take care for now............Thanks.............Kevin:)