Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

This is a NEC 14 code question:raceway/emt sizing,I need an…

This is a NEC 14...
This is a NEC 14 code question:raceway/emt sizing,I need an explination on tables believe C9.What size eat conduit is required for 4 # 8 awg Thwn copper wires,The correct answer would be good but a explanation on how to get there is important please.not sure but if year really matters let you guys know
Thanks again.
3/25/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) The answer for a quantity of (4) four 8 AWG copper conductors using an EMT raceway is 3/4" minimal trade diameter.

2) Each 8 AWG copper THWN conductor has a square inch area of .0366. Multiply .0366 x 4 conductors = .1464 square inches total wire fill.

3) A 1/2" EMT raceway has a maximum of .304 square inches. If greater than 2 wires in an EMT conduit, maximum fill ratio is 40%. Multiply 40% x .304 = .1216 cubic inches.Therefore, .1464 square inches of wire will not satisfy the 40% rule.

4) Next EMT trade size is 3/4" diameter which has an area of .533 square inches. 40% of .533 = .2132 square inches. Therefore, .1464 square inches of wire satisfies the 40% rule and will fit inside a 3/4" diameter EMT raceway that has a maximum area of .2132 squre inches.

5) Refer to NEC Chapter 9.......... Tables 1, 4 and 5 for raceway and conductor square inches.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

ok Kevin so help me out here what table will it find info/Each 8 AWG copper THWN conductor has a square inch area of .0366.
what page in the table sinec dont have copy handy & thanks for response.

1) Conductor sizes are located in Chapter 9, table # 5. Look for type "THWN" 8 AWG and it shows .0366 square inches

See this link: http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/nec/nec2014_chap9_table5.html

ok i got it .0366x 8=.1463 loc in table 5 pg 763
how get to #3 kev.

1) What you mean by #3?

would do same for step 3 please

1) Same chapter (9), and use table 4 for the various raceways.

Here is a link for an on-line calculator: http://conduitfillcalculator.com/

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor