Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing a ceiling fan switch - one that is existing…

I am replacing a...

I am replacing a ceiling fan switch - one that is existing (Emerson) with a Lutron.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The wires on the replacement are not matching up with the existing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have the power off and am ready to connect

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

hello, can you give me the brand and model of the new switch and tell me what wires you have in the switch box?

New switch is Lutron maestro single pole
The switch box has a green ground
two blacks - I assume a hot and a fan/light?

do have a model number for the maestro?

Macl-lfqh-wh
I can take a pic of the box wire if you can accept a pic

yeah sure, you can upload it by clicking on the paperclip icon near the text input area

Ceiling fan has a light kit btw already installed

ok, I will check out the specs on both the new and old switch and get right back to you

Ok

ok, the old one is a wireless in wall remote. It has a power in and out to light but the fan is controlled wirelessly. It looks like you don't have the available wiring in the box to use the new switch

Were you replacing the fan too?

No just the swtch
The fan works fine the switch buttons are getting worn

Unfortunately you can't use this new switch with your setup. You could buy a replacement for the one you have here if you like: https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Remote-Wall-Control-UC-9050T/dp/B01BM51LCW

Perfect info thank you that makes sense

Glad to help. Please don't forget to rate my answer so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer

Is it a pain to have it wired to the box ?

No, the one I linked to is the exact one you have from the number that is on the side of the switch you gave of the wall wiring. Just replace the wires in the positions exactly as they are now, when you get the new one.

No I mean if I wanted to have the wireless removed from the fan and run wires to the new switch and forget wires
Is that process a pain for an electrician

Oh yes it could be. It depends on how the house was wired and if the cable is stapled to the studs inside the wall. You would need a new 12/3 or 14/3 cable installed from the light to switch box.

If the cable is stapled in the wall the wall may have to be cut and patched to install the new cable

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician