Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have standard two 3-way switchers setup, but one wont

Hi, I have standard two...
Hi, I have standard two 3-way switchers setup, but one wont working. Found out that one of three wires between switchers are cut, so now I have only two to work with. On box is the main one (line in and out are there), and second one now has just two wires from main one to work with. Is there a way to make it work using some special dimmer and single pole switch, or some smart dimmer with a slave ?
Thanks.
3/25/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

To have only one wire cut is out of the ordinary. Wires in a cable if having one open would suggest that there is possible damage to the others. I suggest finding where the problem is or discontinuing the cable and replacing it.

is there anther way (using remaining two)? I know where it cut of, and remaining two are fine. opening walls is the last option ...

You had better open the wall, it's not a big deal. A damaged cable with one wire open is a fire hazard. You have no way of knowing the extent of damage without looking at the cable. Tyco makes an in the wall splice for such occurances. The use of Durabond as a patch glue and finish makes the repair hidden.

I can see it broken right in the point of enterence to the box, tiles makes it last option to open the wall. The wire is dead, so no hazad.

Opening the wall at the box may allow for the cable to be pulled further into the box. Remove the stapple and usually there is slack in the cable. That would return the function of the 3 way circuit.

Tried. The cable wont come out at all.
Ok, I think the solution is to use digital dimmer wired as single pole, but to the blue screw traveler. And run the single pole switch between both travelers of the dimmer.

A 3 way application with a digital device still needs 3 wires. If the cable is the only cable going to the second switch, a Leviton Home control set up will be the only way using 2 wires may work for you.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
hm.. ok. Thanks a lot for your time.
Hi, looks like most digital dimmers can work with just 2 wires. (with regular switch, not 3-way)
https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/21/21fb330b-3479-4562-80a0-ba42a713f720.pdf
Installed it today, working good.
Thanks.