Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My doorbell stopped working. I replaced the transformer but…

Customer Question
My doorbell stopped working...

My doorbell stopped working. I replaced the transformer but i think i blew the new one, too

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Replaced the transformer today. but wife said the doorbell chime was making a buzzing sound and smelling so i told her to cut the wires - i was out of town

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a ring doorbell and a multimeter handy but i'm new to multimeters

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/25/2018
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 3 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, an expert advisory company. My name is ***** ***** I am here to help you with your inquiry today… my goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible and instill your confidence in us with a 5 star rating…..….since I am not there it can be that much more daunting a task….. so I will need your to help with any information that I may ask and that you can provide…. I do need this for a more complete picture in trying to resolving your issue ..…… uploading pictures will help so I may request them….…I ask for your patience and together I am confident we can get this done…….you will be getting an automated phone message request, you can accept if it is more comfortable for you or disregard it for now…….. I am going to review what you have given me so far........this is an initial assessment:

----there may be a short in the system now .....when you're ready contact me back here and will start to trace

Thanks

eddie

Please keep in mind I have nothing to do with billing ……….customer service would accommodate you on that…….I can only receive any kind of monetary credit from an acceptance of my answer by you with a positive rating

hi eddie, i'm here

okay you have your tester ?......i want to see what kind of reading we are getting off of the transformer first .........try the out screw and the middle then the other outer and middle

zero reading on all the wires. I replaced the transformer but i think it's blown again
not sure if i'm wiring it properly

okay lets test by the bell ............those wires and see if we get a reading

I have to go offline now...........just send in your last reply and I will check back asap