Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Why do power companies provide AC and not DC? I've Googled…

Why do power companies provide...
Why do power companies provide AC and not DC? I've Googled it and understand that DC is a constant flow of electricity without any hiccups and that AC alternates back and forth at different hertz. Wouldn't it be easier to just flip a switch and let it do its own thing rather than making it pulse? I'm sure there's a heck of a lot more to it than that and that's why I'm asking! Feel free to explain it to me as if I were mentally slow. Hope that doesn't offend anyone. Thanks a lot!
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Eng-Tech
Eng-Tech, Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

The primary reason for AC vs. DC is because alternating current can be stepped up and down using transformers. The alternating flux of the magnetic field in the transformer causes the secondary to generate current and thus can be stepped up to hundreds of thousands of volts - which can travel 1000's of miles and then stepped back down before it gets to your house. . DC - since it does not alternate does not excite the transformer core and cannot be as readily stepped up and down - and thus distributed. This was the basis of the big debate between Edison and Tesla long ago - Tesla won and got his AC distribution widely accepted.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Eng-Tech
Eng-Tech, Technician