Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

How are you? First time on this site - can I pull a wire…

Hi, how are you? First...
Hi, how are you? First time on this site - can I pull a wire behind a shower wall (between the studs) going up to the attic? walls are all open and i want to pull a new wire to another spot and this is accessible.
3/25/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Please confirm........since the walls are open, you will be able to staple the wire to one of the wall studs, is that correct?

2) What type of wire? Low voltage type or electrical cable such as Romex?

Romex wire 12g and I will be stapling the wire to one of the studs going up to the attic
for some more info... the wire will be coming up from the basement (panel) up through the side of the shower wall to the attic

Thanks for the replies.

1) Yes, installing Romex in the wall cavity is code compliant. I recommend that you route the Romex to the wall stud that is opposite the hot water pipe and secure to that wall stud. You don't want the Romex cable to come into direct contact with a hot water pipe.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thank you - one final Q, should I protect the romex in a pvc or steel conduit rather than stapling, will that help?

1) Yes, that is another option. For a sleeve, I always recommend to use EMT metal conduit. You can sleeve the EMT conduit at both ends. Just make sure to install a threaded grey plastic bushing onto the set screw box connector at each end to protect the cable insulation and you will be good to go.

Thank you for your help :)

No problem, glad to assist.

Take care and have a great day..........Thanks............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)