Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to install a Wemo WiFi switch to replace an

existing single pole switch....
I am trying to install a Wemo WiFi switch to replace an existing single pole switch. The Wemo switch has two black wires one white wire and a green wire. The unit I am trying to switch it with has only two black wires and a ground copper wire. The one being switched out is the one on the right side of the photo.
3/24/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, it should work for you but you would have to connect a short piece of white wire to that bundle of whites there. You would probably need a big blue wire nut to contain them all after you put another wire in there though.

That looks like a 3-way switch (where the same light is controlled by at least 2 switches in different locations), is that the case?

That is the only switch for this light.

oh, ok. Can I have a pic of the back of that switch then?

Ok, the other switch there, is that on the same circuit breaker as the light controlled by this switch?

ok, I have a solution for you. However, since this is a different switch than what you originally posted about, Just Answer policy requires me to offer you a premium service offer to answer this since it is considered an additional question. Would you be willing to pay an additional $16 to get the answer for this switch?

I thought I signed up for a monthly fee?

oh, in that case just ask a new question from this website and I can get credit for both questions https://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-sam-i/?rpt=3800. If you would first rate me from 3 to 5 stars for the original question that would be much appreciated

Type the question in the box below my profile pic and info

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician