Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing T-12 Florescent with LED tubes. I order to do…

I am replacing T-12 Florescent...
I am replacing T-12 Florescent with LED tubes. I order to do this I have been replacing the ballasts. The T-12 ballasts have two yellow , two red, and two blue wires. The new ballasts have two blue and a red wire. For the first twenty fixtures, I hooked the two red and two blue wires to the ballast red wire,and the two blues one to each yellow. and they worked.I did # twenty one the same but, when I put one bulb in it lights, then the second will light but the first will go out. I made sure all connections are tight and tried new bulbs and the same thing happens. Where do I start?
3/24/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Do you have the new ballast wired as shown in the diagram shown below:

2) I assume the fixture is a 2 tube fixture, is that correct?

LED's use a driver and not a ballast. Although the driver looks similar to a traditional ballast. Please provide me with the driver manufacturer name and model number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Kevin,
Yes ballast is wired as shown in a two tube fixture. I will get manufacturers # and name on Monday.

OK, very good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Kevin,
The ballast is a universal lighting technologies B232IUNVHP-N Triad.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Based on what I'm reading on the link shown below, this ballast is rated for T8 fluorescent tubes only and not for LED tubes.

https://www.wholesalelightingandelectrical.com/universal-triad-b232iunvhp-n-electronic-ballast.html

2) LED tubes require a driver and not a ballast. The ballast and the driver look similar, but yet they are different.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The led tubes being used are specifically made to be driven by a T-8 ballast. The first twenty I did worked fine, but not this one. An thoughts.

1) Have you double checked the tombstone end connections and the wire splices?

2) Have you tried to "rotate the LED's from a known working fixture to the fixture that has the problem? Possibly a defective LED or a faulty ballast in the problem fixture? Do you have an extra ballast available?

1) Sounds like the LED's are a type "A" tube which integrate directly into an electronic ballast, is that correct? This type of tube has an integrated driver.

2) They also sell LED tube type "B", "C" and a Combo driver type. I forgot about the other types of LED's, that's the reason I was questioning if you had a driver.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hello Kevin,
I changed the ballast/driver and both tubed light up!
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor