Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can a first term electrician apprentice open up live cabnet…

Customer Question
Can a first term...

Can a first term electrician apprentice open up live cabnet and reset an over load

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No , but I can ,as I’m a Journeyman, I have a first term apprentice asking me

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can he legally do the work by himself

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/23/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) There is nothing within the NEC that would forbid any electrician to open up a cabinet and reset an OCPD.

2) Each project will typically have a supervising electrician who is ultimately responsible for pulling the electrical permit (if required) and over seeing the entire project. The supervising electrician role is to also make sure all of the electricians comply with OSHA safety requirements such as wearing a PPE for arc protection, etc. If the apprentice is competent, practices industry safety precautions and has had some training in panelboards/cabinets and the supervising electrician is OK with it, I don't see a problem with it.

1) There is nothing within the NEC that would forbid any electrician to open up a cabinet and reset an OCPD as long as the apprentice falls under the "Qualified Person" definition within Article 100 Definitions and has the skills, knowledge and safety training to perform the task.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 months ago

Does that help to answer your question?