Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

How much does it cost? I am installing a fan time sw in my…

How much does it...

How much does it cost?

Contractor's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Electrician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I am installing a fan time sw in my bathroom. I cannot get the fan to turn on when light is on- fan comes on only when switched to on "off/timer".

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The old outlet has 1 hot wire and 1 wire each for bathroom light and fan. No ground or nuetral. I can get light on, buy fan only comes on then times out (per setting) in the off position. I want fan to run when light us on, then time out after switched off for appropriate time

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was a 2 switch outlet- 1 for fan, 1 for light.

3/23/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Please provide me with the manufacturer name and model number of the timer?

2) Do you currently have 2 separate single pole switches or one combo switch to control the fan and the light?

3) What were the house wire colors that were connected to the original switches?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Air king model AJDT60W. 2 sep single pole sw. There are 3 house wires: 2 ea blue for fan and light and 1 red that was jumped between the two sw
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry model is AKDT60W

Thanks for the replies.

1) This timer model requires a neutral wire connection from the house circuit feed along with the fan/light neutral load wire. The timer will not work correctly unless the 2 neutral wires exist in the switch box.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ahhh I see. Well thanks to whoever wired the house. Are there sw that would work for what I want it to do?

1) It was not code back in the day for wall switch boxes to require a neutral wire. Current code now requires either a neutral or the ability to install a neutral into wall switch boxes.

2) Do you want both the fan and the light to be controlled by the timer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
want fan to be on when light is on, then time out per setting... 1 min, 5, etc..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when light is turned off fan continues to run for a set time

OK, stand by for a few minutes. Am looking for a model that does not require a neutral wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok!

Here are two spring wound 60 minute variable timers that do not require a neutral wire that is sold at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-20-Amp-60-Minute-In-Wall-Spring-Wound-Timer-Switch-with-Stainless-Steel-Wall-Plate-49825/204209977

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-20-Amp-60-Minute-In-Wall-Spring-Wound-Timer-Switch-with-White-and-Almond-Wall-Plate-49823/204209953

2) All of the push button timers that have the individual settings require a neutral wire in the wall switch box.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks Kevin! You've been a great help!

1) These timers have 2 wires...........ie......1 wire for the hot circuit feed and the 2nd wire for the load. For your application, you would splice the 2 load wires (light and fan) to the timer switched loop wire and both will turn ON and be controlled by the timer. A neutral wire is not required.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. Awesome- thanks again!

OK, very good.

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Thank you for the bonus. That was not necessary, but is very much appreciated.

Take care and thanks again............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your welcome!

Thank you:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor