Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm confused with an existing 3 way switch wiring in my

I'm confused with an...

I'm confused with an existing 3 way switch wiring in my house. I have two hallway lights controlled by 2, 3 way switches (A and B). The lights are wired together via NM 12/2 and they connect to switch B via NM 12/2 which has a power source NM 12/2. The switch A is connected to switch B via NM 12/2 and has its own power source NM 12/2. The two power sources are on different breakers. This wiring config controls the lights how I want it to but is this correct and code compliant? Everything I read online says there should be a NM 12/3 connection in the mix.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The house was built in 1994. I have not called in an electrician as of yet. I'm just trying to understand if this config makes sense and meets code. What prompted this was I switched out the old lights for recessed LED lights and the LED lights turn on right away but "fade" off when switched off. I made me wonder if there is a wiring problem because the light manufacturer said the operation sounded suspect.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depending on what needs done I may fix this myself since I have easy access to the wiring via the attic.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm a bit knowledgeable about wiring but definitely not an expert. My use of terminology may not be correct.

3/23/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Thank you Dave. Hopefully my description makes sense.

The 12/3 only make the wiring easier with less material. The way you have it wired is fine. If you would like to learn more about this let me know.

Thank you Dave for your response. So you don't believe the way this is wired would have any affect on the operation of the LED lights?

You only need 1 power source to control the lights, not 2 so not sure if you actually have 2 individual circuits providing power. This is why I asked if you want to learn more, just let me know.

I believe I do have two individual circuits because each light switch is controlled by a different circuit breaker in the electrical box. I can turn off one circuit breaker and still use the lights just from only one switch. This whole setup just seems screwy to me and I'm just wondering if it might be affecting the functionality of the LED lights.
You should only have one circuit not two and that may be why you have problems
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician
Thank you Dave for your professional input. I think I am going to look to rewire this and see what happens.

Here is a link to better illustrate how the 3 way circuitry should be installed depending on how they wired your home.

http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/courses/p230/switches/3way/variations.html

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave