Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a question about my old range outle t. Just now.

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a question about my old range outle t

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Kinda

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am just wondering if i can connect a 220V appliance to my range plug, since I don't use that range anymore, and my appliance happened to be 220V

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/22/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) How many amps is the circuit breaker for the range? 40 or 50 amps?

2) How many amps and/or the wattage rating of the appliance that you want to connect? What is the nameplate rating of the appliance? What type of appliance?

1) What is the NEMA rating of the range receptacle?

1) 40 amps
2) Less than 10 amps. It's an appliance I brought back from China, it's 220V, a rice cooker

1) The rice cooker won't work unless you get a transformer/converter. USA 240 voltage is line to line. Asian 240 voltage is line to neutral. USA voltage is 240 volts from hot to hot. Asian voltage is 240 volts from 1 hot to 1 neutral.

2) I recommend to purchase a USA manufactured appliance. You will end up spending more money to convert it to USA electrical standards. Not worth spending the money to convert the voltage.

3) Asian appliances are also manufactured to 50 Htz. In the USA, we use 60 Htz. The cooker will eventually become defective over time due to the 20% difference in the electrical frequencies. The USA electrical will run 20% faster than what the cooker is rated for.

the input of the cooker says "200-240VAC 10A Max" It has an separate power supply box attached to it

1) Doesn't matter what you have, you would need a transformer/converter and it will cost you $$$$ to convert the cooker to USA standards. Purchase a cooker that can be deployed in the USA and it will be more cost effective.

2) USA and Asia have 2 different electrical distributions and manufacturing. It is not plug & play to bring foreign products into the USA nor bring USA products to an Asian country. The electrical is different and is not worth the cost trying to convert the product.

What about an APW3++ power supply
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADJR6R30053&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-9SIADJR6R30053&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqM3VBRCwARIsAKcekb2pJCbROzbDYGnLd99XGk0LxWXnR_vbyyXD8zPn9FGOm4r3vzlrSXsaAgU2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
what is the nema for my outlet?

I will opt out of the question. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once your question is picked up by another expert.

can i stop this conversation