Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'd like to wire a welder outlet for a 250 V welder. It

I'd like to wire...

I'd like to wire a welder outlet for a 250 V welder. It calls for a 250 V 50 amp GFIC power supply. I'd be using a 250 V 50 amp GFIC breaker ansd 6 gauge wire running about 50 ft through metal conduit. How are the two hot wires and the neutral connected to a 6-50R .receptacle? Does the

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just planning

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/22/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Basically the setup is as follows;

2 pole GFCI breaker has two 120v legs going to the 6-50 receptacle. The white wire on the GFCI attaches to the neutral bar in the panel.

The 6-50 being 240v requires no neutral, instead you need a ground wire from the panel and installed on the ground/neutral bar of the panel. Most residential panels only have 1 ground/neutral bar to share since the ground and neutral basically do the same thing.

As an added safety feature, it you are installing a metal box for the 6-50 receptacle, you should ground the box 1st, then the receptacle, using the same wire. This is keep the system bonded as well as grounded.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On diagrams iv'e seen the breaker has one white going to the neutral bar and another going out to the receptacle with the two hot wire. Do I leave the White neutral off and replace it with a ground?

Yes... 220v doesn't require a neutral wire, instead it uses a ground wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are most welcome... Another way to think of this is that the wire does the same job (a ground) however the color of the wire identifies what it is exactly. White identifies a neutral which implies that the circuit may not be 220v, but rather 2 120v circuits. The ground wire confirms the circuit is 220v.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

I just received notice of the additional bonus, thank you very much it is appreciated.

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician