Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

What wire size do I need for a 800A 480V service. I want to…

What wire size do...

What wire size do I need for a 800A 480V service

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I want to replace the my main feed wire from my disconnect to my breaker panel

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We would be going between 400 and 550 feet. I also want to run a 400A service in the same underground trench.

3/22/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Please ignore a request for a phone call that is not from me ! It is computer generated !

Unless you want to talk ?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No that is fine. I believe we can get it figured out online. Thank you!

Are you using direct burial or are you using conduit! Copper or aluminum wire?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No I want to put it in conduit. What do you think I should use? Isn't copper more conductive but aluminum is much cheaper?

Yes aluminium is cheaper! Your local codes may require copper!

Your voltage drop is important also! How critical is the 480 v?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok, I will have to check into that. What wire size do you recommend for each service? I'm not sure what my voltage drop would be. The 480V is important because I'm replacing a current system and everything is wired for 480V.

400 kcmil aluminum 4 conductors per phase will give you 472v at 500 ft for the 800 amp.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Id prefer to keep it at no more than two conductors per phase if that's possible?

600 kcmil aluminum 1 conductor per phase will give you 470v at 500 ft for the 400 amp service.

The 800 amp service isn't going to be done with 2 conductors!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
What about using copper? Could I use 3 conductors per phase if I use copper?

600 kcmil copper with 3 conductors will give you 476v at 500 ft.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok thank you! How deep do you think I should bury it? Would you have any suggestions as to where to get the best price on wire?

Your depth depends on where your located and what will be over the trench ie: driveway , parking lot, walkway , grass ?

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a 5 star rating before you sign off today!

Thanks !

George

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Most of it will be under a truck driveway. I will definitely give you a 5 star rating! Thank you!

I'm in Chicago I would bury it at least 36". If there is a driveway over it it should be concrete encased!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok thank you! God bless!

Ok thanks!

The concrete may have to be dyed red also !

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks for your help today! And by the way, my name's Kurt.

Thanks for the positive rating !

Please feel free to ask for me personally if you have any more question !

Thanks !

George

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok thank you! I just might do that!
George Smith
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician