Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a 2nd dwelling on my property and I want to somehow…

Customer Question
I have a 2nd...

I have a 2nd dwelling on my property and I want to somehow combine the two separate circuits which come from my main panel? Is this possible?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

30 years...

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What triggered this need is the 2nd dwelling units main power shutoff needs to be replaced.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Not related.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
3/21/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 month ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Combing the 2 circuits into 1 circuit is possible, but all depends upon the connected loads.

2) If an excessive load on the circuit, the branch circuit breaker may be overloaded and can trip.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, I need to replace the main power shutoff anyway. One branch is 20 and the other is 30 amps. So , should I replace the defective main shutoff old school with a 50amp breaker main shutoff and piggy back the wires coming from my main sub-panel in my residence?

Thanks for the replies.

1) What is the application for the 30 amp circuit? A 240 volt appliance circuit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, I need to replace the main power shutoff anyway. One branch is 20 and the other is 30 amps. So , should I replace the defective main shutoff old school with a 50amp breaker main shutoff and piggy back the wires coming from my main sub-panel in my residence?Yes and to be share with other fixtures in the dwelling. i.e.lights etc..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, I need to replace the main power shutoff anyway. One branch is 20 and the other is 30 amps. So , should I replace the defective main shutoff old school with a 50amp breaker main shutoff and piggy back the wires coming from my main sub-panel in my residence?Yes and to be share with other fixtures in the dwelling. i.e.lights etc..Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, I need to replace the main power shutoff anyway. One branch is 20 and the other is 30 amps. So , should I replace the defective main shutoff old school with a 50amp breaker main shutoff and piggy back the wires coming from my main sub-panel in my residence?Yes and to be share with other fixtures in the dwelling. i.e.lights etc..Hello?I need to go and pickup my girls from school?

1) I need to know the application for the 30 amp breaker? Is the 30 amp being used for an electric dryer or another application?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, I need to replace the main power shutoff anyway. One branch is 20 and the other is 30 amps. So , should I replace the defective main shutoff old school with a 50amp breaker main shutoff and piggy back the wires coming from my main sub-panel in my residence?Yes and to be share with other fixtures in the dwelling. i.e.lights etc..Hello?I need to go and pickup my girls from school?Can we continue this later?
It is connected to a Oven.

1) A 30 amp circuit cannot be shared with a 120 volt load. The oven needs to reside on it's own dedicated 240 volt circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected to a Oven.I need to go...can we continue this later?

Sure, no problem, just reply back to me on this same question and we can continue later.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected to a Oven.I need to go...can we continue this later?Hi Kevin,The only high demand electrical appliance is the fridge. All other appliances are gas. How would I combine and connect the separate two 20/30amp wires coming from my main 200amp service and which type of main shut-off surface mount unit do I need SDU? FYI, all the convenience outlets and lights are connected to a sub panel which is connected to the existing defective main power shutoff which needs to be replaced.

1) Is the main disconnect the main breaker inside the 200 amp panel or do you have a separate main disconnect?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected to a Oven.I need to go...can we continue this later?Hi Kevin,The only high demand electrical appliance is the fridge. All other appliances are gas. How would I combine and connect the separate two 20/30amp wires coming from my main 200amp service and which type of main shut-off surface mount unit do I need SDU? FYI, all the convenience outlets and lights are connected to a sub panel which is connected to the existing defective main power shutoff which needs to be replaced.Sorry, what I call the main shut off is what you call the main disconnect and is what I need to replace in the SDU. Both the main house and the SDU have its own main disconnect and its own sub-panels.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not quite understanding your question. I need to understand the layout of the panels and sub-panels?

1) Does the property have (1) one or (2) two separate 200 amp panels with each 200 amp panel having a separate sub-panel or do yo have one 200 amp main panel and two sub-panels fed from the 200 amp main panel?

2) What are you referring the SDU as? A single disconnect unit or other term?

3) How do you kill power to each dwelling? One main disconnect such as a main breaker?

4) The 20 mp and 30 amp circuits cannot be combined. The oven is a 240 volt circuit and the 20 amp is a 120 volt. They can be combined into 1 main panel or into a sub-panel, but each circuit needs to reside on its own separate breakers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected to a Oven.I need to go...can we continue this later?Hi Kevin,The only high demand electrical appliance is the fridge. All other appliances are gas. How would I combine and connect the separate two 20/30amp wires coming from my main 200amp service and which type of main shut-off surface mount unit do I need SDU? FYI, all the convenience outlets and lights are connected to a sub panel which is connected to the existing defective main power shutoff which needs to be replaced.Sorry, what I call the main shut off is what you call the main disconnect and is what I need to replace in the SDU. Both the main house and the SDU have its own main disconnect and its own sub-panels.Responses to your questions:1) ***Both the main house and the additional dwelling unit has 1 main disconnect and one sub-panel. The main house has a 200amp service. The main house feeds the additional dwelling unit with a 30amp branch and 20amp branch fed off of its sub-panel. The additional dwelling unit has a old school fuse main disconnect and its own sub-panel.2) What are you referring the SDU as? ***Here in California, when a home adds an additional dwelling on its property, its called an SDU or ADU3) How do you kill power to each dwelling? ***One main disconnect such as a main breaker? At the main house, the main disconnect will cut power to both the main house and the ADU. At the ADU, the main disconnect will cut the power to the ADU only.4) The 20 mp and 30 amp circuits cannot be combined. ***The oven is gas...the 30 amp circuit is 120v and feeding the ADU.

1) Not sure who wired the 30 amp circuit? It is a code violation to use a 30 amp circuit for 120 volts. 30 amp circuits are only allowed on a 240 volt appliance. 120 volt circuits are either 15 or 20 amps. The 30 amp breaker needs to be replaced with either a 15 or 20 amp breaker or the 2 circuits can be shared as a 20 amp breaker if the load will allow it.

2) A 20 amp circuit can easily support the fridge and some lighting. That should not be a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected to a Oven.I need to go...can we continue this later?Hi Kevin,The only high demand electrical appliance is the fridge. All other appliances are gas. How would I combine and connect the separate two 20/30amp wires coming from my main 200amp service and which type of main shut-off surface mount unit do I need SDU? FYI, all the convenience outlets and lights are connected to a sub panel which is connected to the existing defective main power shutoff which needs to be replaced.Sorry, what I call the main shut off is what you call the main disconnect and is what I need to replace in the SDU. Both the main house and the SDU have its own main disconnect and its own sub-panels.Responses to your questions:1) ***Both the main house and the additional dwelling unit has 1 main disconnect and one sub-panel. The main house has a 200amp service. The main house feeds the additional dwelling unit with a 30amp branch and 20amp branch fed off of its sub-panel. The additional dwelling unit has a old school fuse main disconnect and its own sub-panel.2) What are you referring the SDU as? ***Here in California, when a home adds an additional dwelling on its property, its called an SDU or ADU3) How do you kill power to each dwelling? ***One main disconnect such as a main breaker? At the main house, the main disconnect will cut power to both the main house and the ADU. At the ADU, the main disconnect will cut the power to the ADU only.4) The 20 mp and 30 amp circuits cannot be combined. ***The oven is gas...the 30 amp circuit is 120v and feeding the ADU.Kevin,I bought the house as is and it is what it is. The ADU requires more than 20amps to operate the fridge and lights.., coffee maker, portable heaters, microwave, etc.The 30amp service was initially installed as the main power to service the ADU and later they added the 20amp branch. How can I use or correct the 30amp service for properer use and code compliance for the ADU and combine with the 20amp service or leave the 20amp service independent?

1) Are the 20 amp and 30 amp circuits both fed out of a sub-panel or does the 2nd house have two separate 120 volt circuits (20 and 30 amps) with each having a separate neutral wire?

A circuit running to a detached building can only be a multiwire circuit with 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground or can be 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. It is a code violation to run multiple circuits to a detached building. Thus the reason for a sub-panel feeder circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected to a Oven.I need to go...can we continue this later?Hi Kevin,The only high demand electrical appliance is the fridge. All other appliances are gas. How would I combine and connect the separate two 20/30amp wires coming from my main 200amp service and which type of main shut-off surface mount unit do I need SDU? FYI, all the convenience outlets and lights are connected to a sub panel which is connected to the existing defective main power shutoff which needs to be replaced.Sorry, what I call the main shut off is what you call the main disconnect and is what I need to replace in the SDU. Both the main house and the SDU have its own main disconnect and its own sub-panels.Responses to your questions:1) ***Both the main house and the additional dwelling unit has 1 main disconnect and one sub-panel. The main house has a 200amp service. The main house feeds the additional dwelling unit with a 30amp branch and 20amp branch fed off of its sub-panel. The additional dwelling unit has a old school fuse main disconnect and its own sub-panel.2) What are you referring the SDU as? ***Here in California, when a home adds an additional dwelling on its property, its called an SDU or ADU3) How do you kill power to each dwelling? ***One main disconnect such as a main breaker? At the main house, the main disconnect will cut power to both the main house and the ADU. At the ADU, the main disconnect will cut the power to the ADU only.4) The 20 mp and 30 amp circuits cannot be combined. ***The oven is gas...the 30 amp circuit is 120v and feeding the ADU.Kevin,I bought the house as is and it is what it is. The ADU requires more than 20amps to operate the fridge and lights.., coffee maker, portable heaters, microwave, etc.The 30amp service was initially installed as the main power to service the ADU and later they added the 20amp branch. How can I use or correct the 30amp service for properer use and code compliance for the ADU and combine with the 20amp service or leave the 20amp service independent?Kevin, any chance I can send you pics?

1) Yes you can post pictures here and I can review what you have in place.

2) I'm still not understanding where the 20 and 30 amp circuits originate from? Do they both originate from the same panel or were they run separately out of a main panel or the sub-panel? Sounds like these circuits are feeding a kitchen?

3) Can you send me a block diagram of the main and sub-panels so I can get an idea as to how they are inter-connected. Also show the 20 and 30 amp circuits. This will help me to understand the layout.

Mike, Master Electrician