Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I want to install an outlet in my garage for my refrigerator…

I want to install an...
I want to install an outlet in my garage for my refrigerator which is about five or six years old. I have an outlet in my ceiling which I plug a light into for garage lighting. I’m not sure but I think that is 14/2 wire. My plan is to connect into that receptacle and run conduit to the referigatior with a receptacle.So actually my question is if it’s 14 /2wire in the ceiling will that we handle the load on the refrigerator
3/21/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Depends upon what other loads reside on the circuit and if the other loads may be running simultaneously while the fridge compressor motor may kick in?

2) Generally, the fridge motor will not be under power all of the time, so it may not be a problem.

3) 14 AWG copper is rated for 15 amps.

Currently the refrigerator is plugged into the GFI in the garage . When the GFI goes off the refrigerator shutting down specially from the rain because I have outdoor lighting. This is the reason I want to run it off of the lighting in the garage.So the question is is a GFI on a 15 amp or 20 amp

Thanks for the replies.

1) What is the approximate age of the home? Reason I'm asking is that GFCI was not required for a stand alone fridge years ago.

Built in 1991.Do you think that GFI in the garage is 15 amp or 20 amp
I just figured it out everything in the garage is off of 15 amp.Can I still run the refrigerator off a 15 amp circuit

Thanks for confirming.

1) Homes built in 1991 did not require GFCI protection for a stand alone fridge or freezer in the garage, therefore, the fridge does not require GFCI protection. I recommend to not install the fridge on a GFCI protected circuit. Reason being, if the GFCI trips and you are not home, the food may spoil if a long time period.

2) Should not present a problem to use the fridge as long as the garage will not have any other loads running simultaneously such as a air compressor, etc. Keep in mind that the fridge compressor motor is not running all of the time.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Thanks

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)