Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

In changing a fixture, I saw, black, red and wires. No

Hi. In changing...

Hi. In changing a fixture, I saw white, black, red and green wires. No matter how I connected to the fixture, the fixture remained on every time.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Last night. New condo.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I have reasonable experience with basic electrical. Three-way switching does throw me off though.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

3 years old box and wiring. Chandaliere was working in the previous residence the day before (it's not the fixture itself).

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think I've told you everything.

The fixture has no ground wire either.
3/21/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi is is George let me help! Are those the only wires on the electrical box?
White, black, red and green. All closed with one merette each.

Do you have a two probe tester?

Not while there, no.If this helps: I left red out, tied black to black and white to white. Then I tied red to black. Then I tied red to white. Each way, the power stayed on.

Without a tester the only way you can be sure is to take the switches out of the wall and see what color wires are on the black screws! You do have two 3 ways?

I can't confirm that. I would have to check. One does, yes.So: If the red is hot when the switch is on, what's the wiring scheme?
I can get a tester. What am I looking for?

You have two have a two 3 ways and maybe 4 ways !

How many switches do you have?

Please don't say voltage) : )
Two switches.

You should have voltage from the white to the hot from the switch! Turn the switch on and test the black to white and red to white! Then turn the switch off and test again. You may have a constant hot up there? You have to find the switch leg!

It could be a bad switch that is stuck on but, in 40 years I've never seen one to stick on! If its bad it usually don't come on!

Red, white and black should all be hot when the switch is on?
what should the connections look like?

No just the white and red or the white and black not both!!

Your black from the fixture to the switch leg and the white of the fixture to the white in the box! And can run a jumper from the green to the fixture on a mount screw somewhere!

Do you have a metal box in the ceiling?

the red?Yes. The box is metal.

The red if not the switch leg just cap it! You can attach the green wire to the box. There maybe a green screw in the bottom of the box if not you can put one in! I believe the tapped holes in the bottom are 8/32.

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a 5 star rating before you sign off today!

Thanks !

George

Do you know how to wire the fixture?

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Thank you. I will give you a high rating.

Thanks for the positive rating !

Please feel free to ask for me personally if you have any more question !

Thanks !

George