Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I’m trying to install a leviton Zwave dimmer switch, model…

I’m trying to install...

I’m trying to install a leviton Zwave dimmer switch, model DH6HD. The old switch only has a Black, White and Copper wire... is this switch incompatible?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About an hour

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

3/20/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, is the old switch a 3-way switch? In other words is there more than one switch that operates that one light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, just 1-1

ok, how have you connected the wires to the switch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t yet, the switches diagram notes a hot, neutral and load ... but I’m a wire short

ok, are there any other switches in the wall box with the old one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, just one switch.

ok, unfortunately this switch is incompatible with your existing wire as you suspected. Is your house wiring vinyl coated cable or conduit and wire?

ok you have cable. You would need to have another cable pulled from your light fixture to the switch location in order to use that switch.

I don't know of any smart switches that are only 2 wire unfortunately

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well... at least I know =). Thanks for your help.

Sorry for the bad news

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I assume a non smart dimmer would work?

You're welcome. Please leave me a rating from 3 to 5 stars if I've helped you satisfactorily. That way I will get credit with Just Answer for the question.

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Yes a regular dimmer would work depending on the model

You might want to check this out if you don't have LEDs or CFL lights. It's a new smart switch that doesn't need a neutral. I don't know what system you have but it might be worth a look: https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-required-Technology-Unbeatable-Reliability/dp/B008B2CNL8

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician