Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Installed the Leviton decora smart dimmer with Lithonia 3"

Installed the Leviton decora...

Installed the Leviton decora smart dimmer with Lithonia 3" Led fixtures - LK3 series remodel fixtures, three lights in series. Everything working except for the dimming, they dim but not very much , at 15% they are still kind of bright, below that they turn off. Tried adjusting settings, min & max levels and no change, not sure about the other settings - fade on/off rate etc. Could this be a compatibility issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have 20 years experience in Building maintenance and I already did the installation in my own home, everything works except the dimming is off a little

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I did use 12-2 romex

3/19/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Obviously the switch is wired correctly so you can eliminate a wiring issue.

2) When LED's are wired to wall dimmer switches and the LED's don't work correctly, 99% of the time it's a compatibility issue.

3) Is the switch rated and listed LED bulbs? Have you checked the Leviton website to make sure the LED's are listed as compatible with the dimmer switch?

4) I've even run across LED's that were listed as compatible but still didn't work. Replaced the LED's with another compatible LED and they worked. The manufacturer compatibility for LED's are not always 100% accurate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is rated for LED , I did find a list for compatible dimmers at the lighting website , there was Leviton dimmers listed but not that model , so I will try different lights, Thanks for your help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's all I need thanks

I use many Leviton products, but unfortunately, I don't like their website. Difficult to find information and much missing or out of date information. Not sure why the dimmer model number was not listed? Leviton does a poor job in maintaining their website based on my experience.

1) If the dimmer can turn the lights ON/OFF completely but till a dimming problem, that's an incompatibility issue.

2) Yes, I recommend to try LED's from a different manufacturer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks a lot

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor