Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Have a new stainless steel range hood. I removed old hood…

Have a new stainless...

Have a new stainless steel range hood. I removed old hood and there is only the white neutral and black hot wire wiring coming from the wall through the flexible metal spiral conduit. The new hood required grounding. How do I go about getting it grounded? I am guessing that it needs its own dedicated circuit which the unit currently has, but there is no green wire in the conduit that comes from the box to the range in the kitchen. Is there a solution short of having it rewired by an electrician?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Not yet. I am guessing the old range hood goes back to arount late 1990's

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just what I mentioned. That old circuit has only white and black copper wire coming to the range hood and the new hood requires grounding. also, the range is on its own fuse/circuit

3/19/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, if your wiring is older 2 wire without a ground you do not have to have one installed. Instead, to be safe, you can have a GFCI circuit breaker installed in the electrical panel if your panel supports it. Do you know what brand of breaker panel you have, if applicable?

Hello Sam,I will go down to the basement and check the panel. I can tell you that the range is on its' own dedicated circuit as I only needed to flip the circuit breaker on one switch to turn the electric off on the circuit. I will key in the brand of the circuit panel as quickly as I can go down and come back upstairs!

ok, no problem. If you can also take a picture and upload it, that would be good too.

it is a Challenger circuit box. The dedicated circuit is on a 20amp breaker.
just sent you a text with the pic of the dedicated circuit to the range hood. It is circuit #4 20 amps.

ok, I'm not sure how you sent a text. What number did you use? You can upload pics to this page here by clicking the paperclip icon near the text input area

Maybe instead of a picture you could look for a model number or panel type on the inside door and tell me what that is. then I may be able to link to a GFCI circuit breaker for you

I will go back downstairs to try and get the info. Having difficulty getting pic off my phone to attach. It is a
challenger circuit panel. Catalog No. SB20 (30-40) CT 200 Amp Max Type 1 enclosure. Let me know if this helps.
The range looks to be on its' own dedicated circuit and is a 20 ampbreaker

ok, I will look up what breakers fit that panel

Once you suggest a breaker, can you walk me through how to install it? Also, if I use the recommended breaker, will I only need to use the black hot wire and the white neutral wire to hook up to the new range and then just cap off the green ground wire that is part of the new range hood? Thx 4 your input.

ok, you would need an Eaton Cutler Hammer breaker type BR. Here's a link to one from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Type-BR-20-Amp-Single-Pole-Ground-Fault-Circuit-Breaker-GFCB120CS/100169701

In order to hook this up you would turn off power to the main panel so the whole thing is de-energized. Then remove the old breaker and pop in the new one. Then connect the black wire to the load terminal. Then you will need to locate the circuit neutral in the panel (for the hood) and remove it from the neutral buss bar. Then you connect that into the neutral side terminal of the new breaker. The white pigtail that came installed with the breaker will go into the panel neutral where you just removed the circuit neutral from.

If that answers your question satisfactorily, please don't forget to leave a 3 to 5 star rating so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer

Sam,Looking at your pic you sent to me. So to restate what you have above. I turn off all power to the paner first. Then I will take the white wire from the existing circuit that is connected to the neutral buss bar and disconnect this. Then after I have removed the black hot wire from the existing circuit breaker, I will then install the new GFCI circuit breaker where the old one was connected. Then I will connect the white wire that I disconnected from the neutral buss bar and connect it to the neutral side terminal. I then connect the black wire to the load side of the terminal. Then the last thing to do is to connect the white coiled pigtail wire to the same connection that I just removed the white wire from. My next question is do I need to do anything with the loose green ground wire that is part of the new range hood or should I just put one of the connector caps on the end of it and then just connect the neutral white and hot black wires to the existing white and black wires that I have in the conduit that comes out of the wall? Lastly, If I have any other questions once I get the part and install it, can I contact you still today to finalize any possible questions that might come up?Appreciate your help and will give you a top rating. You have done a very clear job instructing me on what needs to be done and providing the appropriate images to clarify.Dan

You are correct on the procedure for GFCI install. AS far as the ground wire on the new hood, you can coil it out of the way and/or put a wire nut on the end. And yes connect black to black at hood and white to white. You can always come back here to this page for more follow up on this particular problem, free of charge. Good luck and stay safe

Thanks for confirming your instructions again. Just want to be cautious as I had a not very pleasant contact with 240DC when I was a kid living out of the country. That was NOT fun........Prefer 120 for sure!!!
Sam,One thing I mentioned that was incorrect. The two wires in the conduit that were connected to the old range hood were actually yellow and white. I am guessing that the yellow wire is the hot since there was not other wires in the conduit. It was connected to the black wire on the old range hood. Is it possible that the wire is yellow and not black because of the age of my home? It was built around 1997.Thx
Yellow is most likely hot. A hot wire can be any color but most commonly red and black in residential applications

Was there anything else I could answer for you?

NY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS ON THE INSTALLATION OF THE NEW BREAKER.THANKS,
DAN

Glad to help. Good luck and stay safe!

I FOUND AN EATON BRCAF120 COMBINATION ARC FAULT GROUND FAULT 20 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER. IS THIS ONE OKAY TO USE? IT HAS A TEST BUTTON ON IT. I AM AT HOME DEPOT RIGHT NOW. THEY DON'T HAVE THE ONE YOU SENT ME A LINK TO, BUT THE OTHER HOME DEPOT A LITTLE FURTHER AWAY DOES HAVE THE ONE YOU MENTIONED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP IF THE ONE I LISTED IN THIS CHAT IS OKAY OR IF I SHOULD GET THE EXACT ONE YOU LISTED IN YOUR MESSAGE TO ME.THANKS,
DAN

yes that one is fine. It wires up the same way

ALSO, HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO CONFIRM THAT AFTER I TURN OFF THE MAIN 200AMP SWITCH TO THE BOX THAT IT IS IN FACT DEAD AND NOT ENERGIZED IN ANY WAY. JUST WANT TO BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS.THANKS AGAIN,
DAN

The best way is with a volt meter. If you don't have one find something that you know is run from a couple of circuit breakers in that panel and make sure it goes off when the main breaker is turned off. Be aware that when you turn off the main breaker in the same panel that you're working on that the incoming wires are still hot on the line side, but the buss bars that feed the individual circuit breakers will be de-energized.

UNDERSTAND NOW HOW TO CHECK. THEN AFTER REPLACING THE BREAKER, WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO TURN THE BREAKER BOX BACK ON? SHOULD I TURN OFF ALL OF THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS IN THE BOX, AND THEN TURN ON THE MAIN POWER AND THEN TURN ALL THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS ON ONE AT A TIME?
that is a good way to do it.
GREAT. GOING DOWNSTAIRS TO START THE SWAP OF BREAKERS. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I HAVE ANY ISSUES. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE PROMPT RESPONSES AND HELP!
Glad to help!
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Sam,I successfully did the swap of circuit breaker and then installed the new range hood. All works as expected! Thanks again for the extra time answering my questions. Will be giving you a top rating. Nice to work with you. In the future, if I need help, can I specify that I want to work with you or is it just a random event as to who gets matched up with an expert?Thanks again for your help,

Hi Dan, I'm glad you got it going. If you'd like to request me in the future, you can go to my profile at the link I will give you and type your question into the box on my profile page. Then I will have a certain amount of time that your question is open only to me. If I am not online or can't get to you in time then it will be open to other experts. Here's my profile page: https://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-sam-i/?rpt=3800