Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

For real? Just short of 8 hours. Electricity to appliances…

Just short of 8...

Just short of 8 hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Electricity to appliances and lights does not work unless the dryer is turned on; we've since unplugged the dryer. Wondering what had gone wrong.

3/19/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

ok

Your description indicates a loss of one leg on the service. It may be at the panel or ahead on the utility wiring. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester and ability to test at the panel?

I've sent $40 via paypal so far within 6 minutes. As it is 2130 where I live, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I or my landlord may have to deal with tomorrow . . .

Testing at the panel will pinpoint the problem. It could be a failed termination, a bad main breaker or the main breaker connection to the buss. If none of the previous and testing shows a dead leg on the service feeder, it will be a utility company problem.

Ok. Thank you.

You're welcome. If you have a tester I can walk you through the testing.

No I dont; thank you anyway. We have a landlord. Your information will help me tomorrow. Sounds like it's not the dryer.

Definitely not the dryer.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician