Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can I just swap a 16 volt transormer with a 24 volt one, or…

Can I just swap...

Can I just swap a 16 volt transormer with a 24 volt one, or are there additional steps needed?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since yesterday. I tried to install a Nest Hello (doorbell with video).

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was hoping to, but I am not sure.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I am aware of . . .

3/18/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question! Why do you need a 24 volt xformer ?

Hi George. I installed a Nest Hello doorbell/video camera and it needs at least 24 Volts. My current transformer is 16 volts (I think).

Ok it connects the same way!However the nest isn't what dictates the voltage it's the chime?

that means by swapping out the transformer, the chime might not work correctly?

Yes ! If it calls for 16 volts! The nest work with 16v to 24V !

Okay, then I must have less than 16v. If I swap out the transformer to 24v, how might it change or harm the chime?

Yes it is possible! You can get a larger 16v xformer!?

You can buy an inexpensive multimeter at Home depot and you can test for the voltage!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Manual-Ranging-Digital-Multi-Meter-MS8301A/206177756

A xformer is a xformer!

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a 5 star rating before you sign off today!

Thanks !

George

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Thank you!!

Thanks for the positive rating !

Please feel free to ask for me personally if you have any more question !

Thanks !

George