Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Just moved into a house. one of the rooms has a ceiling fan…

just moved into a house...
just moved into a house. one of the rooms has a ceiling fan with a light that can only be turned on through the metal chain dangling from the fan. The on/off electric switch in the room seems only to cut off power from the wall jack in the room.
how to connect the ceiling fan light to the switch?
3/18/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) If desiring a hard-wired switch control, you will need to either install a 2nd wall switch and run a cable from that switch up to the ceiling fan box. Another option would be to disconnect the wiring from the existing switch and run a cable up to the ceiling fan box.

2) A better recommendation rather than hard-wiring switches is to install a remote receiver kit at the ceiling fan canopy cover. See link shown below for an example:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Progress-Lighting-Handheld-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-with-25-ft-Range/50096468

1) If there is an attic area above the room, and wanting a hard-wired wall switch, running the cable is a bit easier. If no attic above the room, this will involve much more labor. for a hard-wired wall switch.

2) Remote control is the way to go. Will only take approximately 30 minutes or possibly less to install a remote fan receiver.

1) Does that help to answer your questions and give you some ideas for the application?

very helpful. thank you.my interest is turn the light on when i walk into the room rather than keep looking for that metal cord in the middle of the room to pull it down.
is there a way to have a wireless light? like, i install a remote at the entrance and perhaps plug the lamp into a wall jack so I can get some light into the room... does that make sense?

No problem, glad to assist.

1) Yes, you could install an Occupancy Sensor that will automatically turn the fan light ON and will turn it OFF after a predetermined time period or you can manually hit the occupancy sensor wall switch and the light will remain in the ON position. However, an Occupancy sensor switch is a hard-wired application and cable would be required to be installed from the switch box up to the ceiling fan box and wired to the light kit.

See this link shown below. Home Depot sells a variety of Occ Sensors.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/occupancy%2520sensor%2520switch?NCNI-5

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

1) An option to have wireless lighting at a wall receptacle is to install a WEMO plug-in switch at the receptacle. Then plug a table lamp into the switch. The lamp can then be remotely controlled via a smart phone.

See this link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Belkin-WeMo-Switch-White-F7C027fcAPL-W/203536127

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)