Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Ceiling fixture. Power on switch and on wiring. Tried a new…

Customer Question
Ceiling fixture. Power on...

Ceiling fixture. Power on switch and on wiring. Tried a new fixture. Cannot get it to work.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Not yet.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All other lights on circuit work.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/18/2018
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 4 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Do you have a voltage tester?

Not at the moment

In order to determine and verify the problem you will need a voltage tester as the problem may be the neutral wire.

No
What should I be looking for

You want to test the wires going to the light fixture for proper voltage. In order to do that you need the voltage tester to determine if the problem is no power, faulty switch, bad wire, or bad neutral. Only way is using the tester.

I know that there is power on the black and white wire. The ground looks good

Then why doesn't the light come on?

Can we just type?

yes we can, but in order for me or any other expert to help determine the problem and make the recommended corrections, you need to test the wires using a voltage tester.

I can only test that there is voltage but not the amount
Guess I’ll have to get a meter

Sounds like you have a pen type tester that only tells you if the wire is "live"

Is the wire at the light fixture "live"?

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 3 months ago

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 2 months ago

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on March 18, 2018 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 1 month ago

I do apologize for these continuing follow-up messages, however since this question remains open and will only close out once the rating portion has been completed by you. Please assist me by taking a few moments to fulfill the rating requirement and this will satisfy the system.

Thank you so much, I sincerely ***** *****

Best,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 24 days ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave