Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Just bought a cadet wall heater, it only has 2 wires and a…

Just bought a cadet...

Just bought a cadet wall heater, it only has 2 wires and a screw for a ground wire, I have a 240 line to heater, but it has a red, black and white wire with copper ground wire what wires do I use to connect this heater?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

1 day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/18/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Remove the door from the electrical panel. What are the 2 wire colors that are terminated to the double pole circuit breaker that controls the 240 volt circuit? Should be the red and black wires, please confirm?

2) Is the white wire terminated to the neutral bus bar at the electrical panel?

1) The breaker should have the black and red wires terminated to it. The white neutral wire should land at the neutral bus bar and will not be used at the heater. Therefore, cap off the neutral at the heater end connection with a wire nut.

2) The bare copper ground wire will terminate to the green ground screw.

3) What are the wire colors for the heater?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Kevin, yes all is connected at panel like you said, neutral off the bus, red and black off double breaker and that copper ground wire.... The heater has only two wires and ground screw, one wire black the other black with white stripes.. So you say hook up red and black wire from my panel to heaters black and black white striped and just use the copper ground at heater screw. Forget the white neutral wire altogether

1) Yes, that is correct. On a 240 volt heater, the white neutral wire is not used. Therefore, cap off the white neutral wire with a wire nut.

2) At the heater, splice the house black to the heater black. Splice the house red to the heater black/white.

3) The bare copper ground house wire will terminate to the heater green ground screw.

Reply back and let me know if the heater is working correctly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand what you are saying, but doesn't the electricity have to return to the panel the black and red wires are supply lines only . I am thinking about how they compare electric flow to water flow in pipes. Maybe you can explain. Thanks

1) It is because the two hot wires are 180 degrees out of phase. The hot wires essentially take turns being the return wire every time the phase switches. 240V is the difference between them, and so when leg 1 is at +120V the other leg is at -120V and power is flowing from leg 1 to leg 2, but half a cycle later they are swapped and the power is flowing in the opposite direction, with leg 1 acting as the return.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well that explains it very well, thanks a million

No problem, glad to assist.

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor