Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Well, I just tried to install a ceiling fan and was confused…

Well, I just...

Well, I just tried to install a ceiling fan and was confused because the old fixture had clear wiring and both wires fruition the ceiling were white

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

No electrician yet, the house is 40 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was hoping to, but I could not get both the light an fan to work at the same time on the new ceiling fan and now the old fifties won't work again either

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

One of the white wires is copper the other is not

3/18/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) How many house wires and the wire colors in the ceiling box?

2) How many fan wires and the fan wire colors?

3) How is the fan controlled? Pull chains or a wall switch or both or via remote?

4) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter if needed to confirm voltage?

1. There were three wires in the house box two white and one black. The two white wires were hooked to the old fixture which was on a dimmer switch. The black house wire was capped off.
2. There are 4 fan wires. White neutral, black motor, blue light, and green ground hooked to frame.
3. There is a wall switch, I think part of the problem that has a dimmer that is rated for incandescent only.
4. No tester.
5. I think I have to get a new switch to hook up the fan, but my question is now why won't the old fixture work any more, and how do I tell the wires apart since both are white besides the black one that was capped off

Thanks for confirming

1) Whoever wired up the ceiling box, was not experienced and installed the incorrect wire color. It is a code violation to use a white wire as a hot wire or as a switched loop wire. The switched loop wire that extends from the switch to the ceiling box should have been a different color other than white or green. This needs to be corrected.

2) I assume the ceiling box was wired using EMT metal conduit or other?

3) A dimmer switch is no longer used to control the fan motor speeds, but can be used to only control the light kit.

4) You need a tester to confirm if the ceiling black wire is always hot.

5) How do you want the new fan to be controlled? Pull chains or a wall switch or both or via remote? Do you want the fan motor speeds and the light kit to both control the fan/light or does the fan have a remote?

1. Ya, the switch has white black and copper ground. I am loosely calling the ceiling a box, it is just wires from a hole in a piece of wood.
2. I can't tell.
3. Honestly I am probably going to have to get someone out here to fix this, my main concern is that since I now can't get the old fixture to come back on after rewiring it that something really bad has happened and I am looking at a fire hazzard.

Thanks for the replies.

1) That is another code violation. All ceiling fans must have a ceiling fan rated box to support the weight of the fan.

2) I recommend to contact a locally licensed electrician and have them re-wire the circuit since it was wired incorrectly and have them install a fan rated box. Disconnect the fan wires and cap off the house wires with individual wire nuts.

3) If you don't want to contact a local electrician, I can certainly help you, but this will involve additional re-wiring on your end. You will also require a multimeter to confirm voltages. Let me know how you want to proceed?

Thanks, ***** ***** capped all the wires, but I would like to be able to leave the breaker on. Is that risky? I am going to call a professional to rewire this thing. I felt confident to install a fixture but that's about it.

No problem, glad to assist.

1) You can leave the breaker in the ON position, but place an individual plastic wire nut cap onto each of the ceiling wires. This will provide a safe environment and not pose a risk.

2) Yes, I understand. Probably best to contact a local electrician to install the correct wires and a fan rated ceiling box.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks will do

OK, very good.

In the meantime, have a good evening..........Thanks............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...........Thanks again............Kevin:)