Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

1st I'm speaking about a mobile home. Out side is a 200 amp…

Hello 1st I'm speaking...

Hello 1st I'm speaking about a mobile home. Out side is a 200 amp panel and meter. It then leaves that panel running underground 8 to 10 feet to another 200 amp panel inside the trailor. I get 240v coming in and 240v leaving that panel but when it reaches the inside panel only one of the 2 leads is getting 120v the other drops to about 32v. This is aluminum wire feeding the indoor panel

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

So how is that the same wire coming out of the service panel has proper voltage but by the time that same wire reaches the 2nd panel the voltage has disappeared?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Just since yesterday. I thought at 1st the main inside was bad so I replaced it. It worked for a few hours and then started with the same problem. Yes I do all of my own work. I am añ industrial journeyman have been for 20 years plus

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If water has entered the underground pipe the wire runs through cause such an issue

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It's weird if that describes severe and my sister who lives there with her 6 MN old at the moment has no heat or air because I don't have 220 inside

3/18/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, that sounds a lot like a bad neutral. Does the voltage fluctuate when you turn on various appliances? Try something like a hair dryer on different circuits so you can get each leg to have that load and test voltage at each leg when the test load is turned on

IF it doesn't fluctuate then it may be the phase wire that is low voltage is broken or partially broken in the conduit underground. Aluminum wire will corrode into powder in water or underground in earth when the insulation is nicked but it will still conduct electricity somewhat even in that state

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That not really the issue. Picture main service has 240 coming in and before the wire enters the pipe running Underground it also has 240 volts but when it reaches the other panel one leg has 110 volts but the other leg does not it's not it's not going out without 110v one leg is not coming in. Its loosing voltage somewhere between the main panel outside and the indoor panel while running underground
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If that pipe has filled with water could that be the cause

Yes, I read that above. That means your problem is either the connection to the inside panel or it is a bad wire between the outside panel and the inside panel.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do u mean by the connection at the inside panel

If voltage goes up and down with different loads in the house then it is a bad neutral. If it doesn't then it is probably a bad hot leg. The water in the conduit doesn't matter. All conduit outdoors and underground is filled with water. What matters is if the insulation has failed and the aluminum has blown apart or is in the process

A loos connection could cause those readings. It depends on where your test point is. Are you putting the meter on the wire itself or the lugs or main buss bars?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not at the panel right now bUT can be within the hour. Can I continue this conversation then if I need to I may just do the call thing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've done both

ok I will be on for another couple hours

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok that I didn't know. So I need to look for a lot of resistance in checking the continuity of that wire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I do that how do I get back to this from the site

Yes, if you can check resistance on the main wires between the inside and outside panel you can sometimes tell that way. Sometimes you need a megger

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What the heck is a megger

You can bookmark the page or you should be able to sign in to an account and look at a list of questions that you have and select this one

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Megohmeter. It sends High DC voltage on the lines to check insulation resistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok wow. Never heard of one of them. I'll look into that

you can do the test I suggested first without a megger. Just turn off all the loads in the house except some lights and a couple outlet circuits leave the lights on and plug the hair dryer in and turn on full blast. Check voltage at the indoor panel main wires during the test. DO it again with the dryer on another circuit that is on the other hot leg.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I'll do that. Thank you. I know this wI'll sound stupid it's something that I should know but I question myself. When checking continuity with power off should I be getting continuity between the main leads and the neutral leads

no. There should be no continuity between any of the main wires at each panel. You would have to put a jumper wire, let's say a jumper between neutral and hot leg L1. Then you would go to the outside panel and test those wires there between hot leg L1 and neutral. If you get a high resistance then one of those wires is the problem. Put the jumper in different spots (L1 to L2 and L2 to N) to check the others

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh there at this point will not be any more charges to my card right. Just the $16 as of now

That's correct. If you want a phone call later that's an extra $24

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought not but the inside panel I am getting continue between l1 and l2 to the nuetral
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
some where in the pipe the leads r touching. Or could it be coming from upstream

make sure there is nothing (no circuit tapped off the main lines at both panels

If your breakers are off it wouldn't be up the line

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. In the outside pale there r only two other breaker one feeds the a/c condensor the other well I've never checked
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for all the help. I think I can take it from here. Thanks for the help

ok, let me know it goes or if you need any more help. Also if you do figure it out, please come back and give me a rating from 3 to 5 stars so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll do that now. Thanks again. I'll give you top ratings

ok thanks

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician