Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a house built in 1959 and all the light switchs are…

I have a house...

I have a house built in 1959 and all the light switchs are flat square push button switches. Push one to turn off push again to turn off. I want to change to toggle switches. Took old switch off and I have 2 red wires and one yellow wire. The two red are twisted together so I connected those to one screw and the yellow to the other screw on the toggle switch. But when I turn the power back on I have to double flip the toggle to turn off and turn back on.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am doing it myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats it

3/17/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, are you sure the red wires were connected tot he same terminal?

ok got the pics. I'll look this over and get right back with you

DO you see a brand and model number or any other kind of writing on the old switch?

Touch-Plate Mod 1400 AMP 24v Switch

Ah ok, that is for 24 volt lighting

What type of lighting is this controlling?

I found this online and the light switch in my room says this brand...
description
The Genesis Series Wall Switch is a direct replacement for the original 1400 Series. A dependable design, the Genesis has been a favorite style since the 1940’s. Its large and practical button makes it ideal for nearly any low voltage application.Available in 1, 2, and 3 button configurations without LEDs. All configurations fit a standard 1 or 2 gang mount.Colors available: White, Ivory, and Light Almond

Is that the kind of replacement you want? I can find you a 24 volt replacement toggle

But the same light switches on all lights.

ok.

The problem is that those switches are 24 volt and the new switches may be too high in resistance for the lower voltage system. Here's a link to a 24 volt toggle switch: https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~5649683~path~product~part~5649683~ds~dept~process~search?gclid=CjwKCAjw-bLVBRBMEiwAmKSB8z-CXzblJxhk6Lw3SFKSKoYZpqfaWncGqZaavXVJebyQrZjJulzCBRoCmG4QAvD_BwE

That is white. Do want ivory like the old one?

Hold on let me check something else out first...

OK, nevermind about that first link. Your old switch is a momentary contact switch, that's why the new only works when you do it twice. Hold on I will find you a momentary contact toggle switch

that’s the type of wiring for this house?

ok, I found a 24 volt, single pole, single throw, momentary contact toggle switch in ivory: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-12021-2I-Single-Pole-Industrial-Self-Grounding/dp/B003AUB65U

Looks like you have a 24 volt control system for the lighting somewhere in the house or perhaps a contactor and transformer at each light fixture

oh wow sorry again, that is not a momentary contact

bear with me, sometimes these little details don't all get translated into the product search very well

I double checked all the needed items on this one. 24 volt, momentary contact, ivory, check, check, and check

it's a single pole, double throw so you will have to loop the two load terminals together when you put it in. Then it will turn on/off your lights by flipping it up or down and it will spring return to center position

If that answers your question, please don't forget to rate me from 3 to 5 stars before logging off so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer

this is the type of wiring in the house is what your saying...right?

From the switch you have there I'd say yes. If you had normal residential voltage that switch would have burnt up long ago. To verify you can get a volt meter and check the voltage. Do you have a lighting control panel anywhere in the house that you've seen?

I think I have seen one in the attic...is that a place that one might be?

Yes it is a likely spot

What is the purpose of a lighting control panel?
And why would someone elect to use this type of wiring?
The switch you showed and the ones I seen on Home Depot site are quiet expensive. So it's more econimical to just stick with the same push button switch.

The main reason to go with a control panel is so that smaller wire can be run throughout the house saving money. Also low voltage distribution is safer

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Ok...thank you for your help!!

Here's one that is rated for normal voltage but will work fine. It's about half the price: https://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/4821i-mom-switch-15a-120-277v-spdt-iv.html

Glad to help. You can always come back here for a follow up question on this subject any time. Thanks for the rating

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician