Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Installing a fan light bathroom fixture. House wires include…

Installing a fan light bathroom...
Installing a fan light bathroom fixture.
House wires include black, white, red and ground.
Fixture wires include black and white to fan and white and blue for light.
What do I connect?
3/17/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) How many wall switches will control the fan and the light? 1 switch or 2 switches?

2) Kill power to the breaker and tell me the quantity of wires and the wire colors that are terminated to each switch? Back the switch(s) out from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Two switches one for light one for fan

1) I need to know the wire colors terminated to each switch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll check the switch wires

OK, let me know wire quantities and wire colors on each switch?

Also let me know which switch you want to control the fan and the light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Switch 1 has black and red wires.
Switch 2 had 2 black wires.
I want #1 to be light

Thanks for confirming.

1) Switch #1 will control the light. Therefore, splice the fan box house red wire to the fan light blue wire.

2) Switch #2 will control the fan. Therefore, splice the fan box house back wire to the fan black wire.

3) At the ceiling box, splice all white wires together and cap off with a wire nut.

4) The fan should have a green ground screw. Terminate the house ground wire to the fan housing green ground screw.

Reply back and let me know if all is working correctly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fixture has quick connectors. Do I need to remove the one on the white wires to connect all three white wires?

1) Depends upon the quantity of available ports on the quick connects. If an insufficient quantity of ports, cut off the ports, strip the white neutrals and splice them all together using a plastic twist-on wirenut cap.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I stripped the wires on fixture and they appear to be aluminum ot copper. Any concerns there?

1) They are most likely aluminum wires that are copper coated. Typical cheap manufacturing now days that the manufacturer don't want to spend the money on regular copper wires. If the exterior wires look like copper, no concerns. Splice the wires as instructed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The wires are silver not copper color.
I have spliced and connected them with wire nut

1) If silver in color, then I recommend to apply some NOALOX anti-oxidant pasted prior to splicing the wires. NOALOX paste is sold at Home Depot. See link shown below:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOALOX-4-oz-Anti-Oxidant-Compound-30-026/202276208

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok going to HD

OK, very good.

1) Splice and twist the wires together using a pair of pliers or a lineman pliers. Then apply the NOALOX paste. Then twist the wirenut onto the splice.

2) The silver wires are aluminum, thus the reason for the anti-oxidant paste on the splice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Wiring worked

OK, great job on your behalf. Glad that all is working correctly.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor