Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a GCFI that's not working and the indicator light is…

Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a GCFI that's not working and the indicator light is flashing red. I tried pressing test and reset, but the reset won't click in.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It happened once before and the electrician came back and fixed it. It's been about a year and now it's happened again just today.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I remembered he told me some sort of trick, but I don't remember it, so I was going to try and fix it myself if I can, but will call an electrician if I cannot.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really. No other problem. I was working last night.

3/17/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay. Thanks Dave.

If the GFCI won't reset it is usually because it is sensing a short or fault somewhere. Are you considering trying to repair this yourself or having someone else make the repairs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it's a real electrical problem, I won't try to fix it myself. However, this is pretty new. I had an electrician out about a year ago and he installed it. I wasn't there when he did, my dad was. Then, it had this same problem and I called him back. He kind of laughed at me and told me that I wasn't pressing the button correctly and he fixed it without really doing any electrical work. Apparently, I wasn't doing something correctly. This is a Leviton GCFI device. Is there some trick that I'm not remembering. I just pressed test and then pressed reset, but the reset isn't clicking.

No special trick required. If the unit won't reset after you try to (it makes noise like it wants to reset, but immediately trips) then it is probably working correctly. Unless you have some specific reason prior to installing a GFCI, it is recommended to not have any LOAD on the GFCI. It is better to pigtail the wires for the GFCI and strictly use the LINE part of the GFCI and it usually prevents these type of problems.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I be able to just hit reset and have the button click in? Right now if I press it in, no noise, no click and when I release it just goes back to where it was.

If the GFCI is sensing a fault it will not allow you to force a reset. One way to determine this is to turn the breaker off to the GFCI. With no power on the GFCI will reset if working properly. Some GFCI's require a bit more effort to reset. If it does reset and then you turn the breaker back on and the GFCI trips, it is doing its job and you have a short somewhere.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried that and I could not reset it with the breaker off.

Then the problem is most likely the GFCI and it should not take 2 gorilla's and a monkey to reset it...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks. When I told the first electrician that there was a problem, maybe there really was a problem. I think I need a new electrician.

Could be... Suggest if you decide to replace it to install it without the LOAD being used and wire it from pigtails as I mentioned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I have no idea what that means, but I'll pass it on to whoever I get to fix it.

LOL... it's taking multiple wires of the same color (say 3 wires) and adding a 4th wire making the bundle 1 large wire except that single 4th wire is installed at the fixture instead or the 3 wires. Makes for a cleaner installation with less problems.

Hopefully it will be an easy and inexpensive repair...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician