Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

What would suddenly cause a 110 outlet to have a hot ground…

What would suddenly cause...

What would suddenly cause a 110 outlet to have a hot ground reverse

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just within a couple hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/17/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

ok

Thank usually comes from an open or weak neutral. In AC wiring there is no "polarity reverse" since AC changes cycles 60 times a second.

If you have a 3 prong electrical tester with indicator lights, usually that will tell you want is not correct on the outlet. You can get these for a couple of dollars at your home improvement centers.

what would cause the open neutral
I have one that's what showed me whats going on with the circuit
it also rained her recently

usually it is a weak wire or bad connection, either at the outlet or coming into it from another location.

ok thanks

It is common on older homes and those using aluminum wires instead of copper.

ok its a 40n year old double wide trailoes with general electric breakers
thank you for your info gives five stars

Don't think the breakers are an issue, on way to help eliminate and isolate these type of problems is to pigtail the wires in the box and only have 2 wires on the outlets. This helps keep the circuit solid and then any issues at the plug are usually with the outlet.

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

I just received notice of the added bonus, thank you very much it is greatly appreciated.