Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical question here...can anyone give me a brief

Hi, electrical question here...can anyone...
Hi, electrical question here...can anyone give me a brief explanation as to how a SPD type 2 is able to protect an entire subpanel when it’s simply connected a a dedicated breaker along with “8” other breakers connected in the same panel. Does it provide a path of least resistance so that surges are pulled toward that device before choosing the other breakers to travel through?
3/17/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Here is an general explanation of how it works...

The ability of an SPD to limit over voltages on the electrical distribution network by diverting surge currents is a function of the surge-protective components, th e mechanical structure of the SPD, and the connection to the electrical distribution network. A surge protective device is intended to limit transient over voltages and divert surge current, or both. It contains at least one nonlinear component. In the simplest terms, surge protective devices (SPDs) are intended to limit transient over voltages with a goal of preventing equipment damage and downtime due to transient voltage surges reaching the devices they protect.

A useful analogy makes this clearer. Consider a water mill protected by a pressure relief valve. The pressure relief valve does nothing until an over-pressure pulse occurs in the water supply. When that happens, the valve opens and shunts the extra pressure aside, so that it won’t reach the water wheel.

If the relief valve was not present, excessive pressure could damage the water wheel, or perhaps the linkage for the saw. Even though the relief valve is in place and working properly, some remnant of the pressure pulse will still reach the wheel. But pressure will have been reduced enough not to damage the water wheel or disrupt its operation. This describes the action of surge protective devices. They reduce transients to levels that will not damage or disrupt the operation of sensitive electronic equipment.

Another way to think of these is they are back feed protection devices.

Great explanation. Thank you so much!

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave