Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I would like to install a sub-panel in my garage there is no…

I would like to...

I would like to install a sub-panel in my garage there is no outside panel just the meter straight into the house with the breaker box rated at 150 amps. The sub-panel is rated at 100 amps and has three double pole slots. I need to run a dryer (30 amp ?) circuit a small welder (240v) draws about 15 amps and an air compressor (240v) draws 20 amps . The run would be about 50 feet and doubt all would be running at once. could I run this on a 60 amp breaker with #4 wire

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just bought the house and would like to add the circuit

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure what it might be

3/16/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) If the loads will not be running simultaneously, a 60 amp sub-panel feeder circuit will be sufficient.

2) A 60 amp circuit @ 240 volts on a 50 foot run only requires 6 AWG copper conductors which will result in a voltage drop of 1.2% which is code compliant. If installing 4 AWG copper conductors, the voltage drop will be .8% (point 8%) which is also code compliant.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks Kevin, one additional question please does the box need to be bonded? or does that only happen at the main breaker panel.

1) Bonding only occurs at the main service disconnect and never at a downstream sub-panel.

2) The sub-panel feeder circuit requires 4 conductors..........ie..... 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor.

3) At the sub-panel, DO NOT install the green main bonding screw or a main bonding jumper strap at the neutral bus bar. The neutral must always be isolated from the panel metal enclosure. Only white neutrals will land on the sub-panel neutral bus bar but not any grounds.

4) The sub-panel will require a separate equipment ground bar to only land ground wires.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
That what I thought thanks for the verification.

No problem, glad to assist.

I agree with your verification:)

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)