Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Installed a new electric dryer. Used previous cord--3 prong.

Customer Question
Installed a new electric...

Installed a new electric dryer. Used previous cord--3 prong. Connected neutral leg to silver (middle) terminal and the two outside power wires to the gold terminals. Plugged cord into wall and big POP!!! I thought the breaker blew but it was still on.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

I used a electrical meter to verify the incoming power and neutral leg. All was well and as I would have expected. I took the cord off the machine and ohm checked it to be sure the power legs we in order. I checked end to end first, then checked lead to lead to make sure nothing had burned or direct shorted. All was okay. Plugged back in. NO power on dryer.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I did this much by myself. But I believe that something dead shorted inside the machine. That's your job. My job is to verify install was correct.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I live 55 miles miles SE of Gillette Wy. I need to know who will be service tech? I don't want to pay mileage charges to my house so I hope it's covered. If not, then I will bring machine to service tech. I need to know who to contact.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/16/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

How did you test the receptacle? Did you test hot to neutral from both hots (120V) and then test hot to hot (240V)?

That is correct. All seems in order.
Mike,I am baffled by this process. I thought I was contacting Maytag to set up a service appointment. Now I am being dinged $5 and then $24 if I talk to you on the phone--what is this? I just want to sort out a service appointment. What's up???

That would indicate a failure in the dryer. If it didn't trip the breaker again, the pop you heard opened a connection or wire in the unit.

Ops, you are on an online answer service.

I'll opt out.