Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm in the process of trying to switch out my thermostats…

Greetings, I'm in the process of...
Greetings,
I'm in the process of trying to switch out my thermostats and light switches. So far I've had no troubles with the single poll switches or thermostat, but need help with the wiring for the 3-way switches. I've included a pic of the configuration of the existing switches (just two wires to each) and the options to hook it up to on the new switches. Can you please let me know what wires should be hooked where? I've tried a few different configurations with no luck so far.Also a note, the numeral wires in that box are all tied together not hooked up to anything. The single poll switches I used were a different brand and required that they be hooked into that numeral wire, I'm not sure if that's the case for this or not. If you can take a look at my pics and further assist that would be helpful great. Thanks!
3/16/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George let me help you! Let me look at your pics!
Ok! On your old switch do you have a black screw on it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, there are the two on the right and a single greenish one on the left. Nothing was hooked up to the one on the left.
The pic of the old switches don't look like 3way switches! They look like single pole switches!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what I thought too... But somehow they are controlling lights that can also be turned on and off from other locations. Can I hook them up as single poll in the old configuration at all - I guess if they were working before might still work now? And if so how would I do that.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are identical to the switches that I took out of the single poll locations for sure.
Are you sure? It can't be! Are both those red wires on the one switch on the same screw?
Can you double check?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hmm, I guess it's possible that all four switches in that box are the only ones controlling some of the sets of lights. This house has an obscene amount of different lights and switches, I just assumed, but I guess incorrectly. That red wire is a single wire, that ends at the far switch and loops around the bottom screws of the others and goes onto the next. If you're telling me it's impossible that this is a multiple switch configuration I'll certainly believe you! In that case how would I hook these up correctly?
How many switches are in loop?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A total of four.
The red that loops is your constant power the other wires like the purple are your light feeds! ( switch legs) all four switches operate different lights!
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the two on the right were to be used if there were multiple switches, I assume I only use the ones on the left. Do you know if the nutral wire is required for this switch, as again it's capped off? And with those three on the left where does the red go and where does the other?
George Smith
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician