Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

If I want to run power to 3 outlets outdoors can I run 3…

Hi. if I want...

Hi. if I want to run power to 3 outlets outdoors can I run 3 lines in conduit from a gfci outlet. goal is power a fountain and occasionally a laptop at different spots on patio. can use lb boxes to junction the conduit(no splicing) instead of running 3 separate conduits

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Open to myself or someone else

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

If I can use the lb boxes, what is the recommended method? I've provided a rough drawing here:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/17eGeyoXNkqVy5BS13Ala3S-_D_W-n2Un5XlkjRH5Tu8/edit?usp=sharing
If I can use the lb boxes, what is the recommended method? I've provided a rough drawing here:https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/17eGeyoXNkqVy5BS13Ala3S-_D_W-n2Un5XlkjRH5Tu8/edit?usp=sharing
3/16/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help you with this. Is the GFCI at the shed on the inside or outside wall?

Also burial depth of 12" is ok as long as long as it remain under a solid layer of those pavers. If it runs under grass only somewhere it should be buried 18 inches down to be compliant with the National Electrical Code.

Are you planning on using single wires or a multiwire cable like a romex?

If you want to use romex cable there are special rules to do so outdoors and in conduit

I am planning to use single wire black white and green 12awg thwn to each outlet. the purpose of the junction box is strictly for routing and not for splicing and to minimize the amount of conduit buried. if I make the junctions accessible or cement close the junction boxes would that be ok?
in the image you provided, does each line represent conduit with wiring in it?
the pic I uploaded represents one conduit per gray line.
You couldn't cement the junction boxes or LBs closed. That would be a code violation as they must remain accessible. If you want to bring them up above ground that would be acceptable code-wise but wouldn't be very attractive. You would need to mount them on a post sine they are not rated for foot traffic.
Here's a link to a junction box rated for burial flush with the surface bLVBRBMEiwAmKSB84GCxxdGlMARDcK2Ym2M9FD7_UV8PZLUqz8gu5oXqnEyUwB5MBCyrxoCXPwQAvD_BwE
Sorry here is the link: http://www.electricalgopher.com/focus-dbs-12-8jb-direct-burial-junction-box-1629.html?fee=2&fep=1629&gclid=CjwKCAjw-bLVBRBMEiwAmKSB84GCxxdGlMARDcK2Ym2M9FD7_UV8PZLUqz8gu5oXqnEyUwB5MBCyrxoCXPwQAvD_BwE
If that answers your question please don't forget to leave me a rating from three to five stars so I can get credit for answering with just answer.
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Thank you Sam!
Glad to help. Good luck and stay safe!