Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a new GE dual fuel stove and my outlet is a 3 prong.

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new GE dual fuel stove and my outlet is a 3 prong. When I connect a 3 prong power cord to it do I need to add a jumper wire from the neutral to the ground lug?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The GE is new model # p2b940sej4ss

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just wondering if I need to add a ground jumper wire from neutral to ground screw

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
3/16/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 month ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) If the existing circuit does not contain an equipment grounding conductor or was not wired in metal conduit, then yes, the green ground screw is permitted to be bonded to the neutral conductor which is code compliant.

2) Either jumper the 2 connections (neutral to green ground screw) using a furnished bonding jumper strap or jumper using a small piece of 10 AWG copper wire.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does that help to answer your question?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor