Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

If I change a main panel and meter on a house but the main…

If I change a main...
If I change a main panel and meter on a house but the main utility feeders are too short is there a code violation to splice them either in the meter area or in a separate junction box?
3/15/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Is the service overhead or underground?

Underground

Thanks for confirming.

1) There should be no need to extend the underground service conductors as long as the meter enclosure is within the same distance as the original enclosure.

2) You will also need to contact the local utility. Most utilities own the underground service lateral conductors and they would be responsible if a splice is required. If the conductors are customer premise owned, splicing would require approval from the local electrical inspector.

OK thank you. So it sounds like there would not be a code violation if the feeders need to be extended a few inch because the new meter location is higher than the old meter location. However it sounds like you're telling me each utility provider may have a different policy about it.

1) Most underground service lateral cables are owned by the utility and they would be responsible to make an underground splice. If utility owned, you do not want to make the splice yourself since the only party that can kill power to the service lateral is by the utility pulling the fuse at the transformer. You need to confirm as to the owner of the service lateral cable.

2) Within the National Electrical Code, splices for the service lateral are allowed and are code compliant. NEC Article 300.5(E)

3) If the splice cannot be made underground, I doubt that the utility or the local electrical inspector would approve of an actual splice within the meter socket area. A splice would be code compliant if made within the riser portion of the meter can pedestal.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)