Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The breaker in my breaker box that controls my garage flood…

Customer Question
The breaker in my breaker...
The breaker in my breaker box that controls my garage flood light, is only supplying power occasionally. I thought my flood light was broke but the test button works on it. I tried to set the flood light to work in the evening by shutting off breaker switch for one minutes like the manual says and its supposed to work once you turn the switch back o. I noticed that some times the power goes on but some times it doesn't=tonight it went on but shut off on its on-does that mean the breaker itself is broke or is there a fuse to be changed?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/15/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) I recommend to kill power to the breaker and locate another known working breaker in the panel of the same amperage. "Roll" the hot wire from the original breaker over to the other known working breaker. Does the trouble go away or follow to the other breaker?

2) If the trouble follows, then either a loose wire on the circuit or a defective flood light.

The only thing I have ever done with a breaker box is flip the switched-I dont see wires just switched-do i need to take the front plate off to see the wires?

1) Yes, remove the door from the panel to access the branch circuit wires.

I cant figure it out-Im gonna need to get an electrician out here-thank you

Yes, I understand. If not comfortable working inside an electrical panel, then best to contact a locally licensed electrician.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)