Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I've got a double switch that I'd like to convert to a

Hi, I've got a...

Hi, I've got a double switch that I'd like to convert to a single switch with an outlet. I found a switch that has 2 switches in the one box and am trying to use that and it has worked for the lights, but when I turn it on the outlet goes off and when the lights are off the outlet is barely getting any power. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else you'd suggest I try. Thanks, H.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just a couple of days on and off.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm trying to, I've changed outlets and switches before and figured this wouldn't be as hard as it's been

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well the switches each have their own breaker and there are five wires with 2 of them hot. But one set is a thicker gauge wire than the other.

3/14/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George let me help!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great is there anything you need from me?
Give me a minute to look at your question.
Can you send a pic of the wiring or a diagram of what you have!
Do you want the receptacle on all the time?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd like to yes. Unless it is not possible. I can get you a picture, how do you want it? Just the wires or with everything hooked up?
Everything hookup
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok please hang on for a few minutes.
If I don't get back to you quickly give me a minute or two ! I'm going to me driving!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here we go. Let me know if you need to see a different angle or anything else.
20180314_171657.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_171652.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_171648.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_171645.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_171705.jpg2018031...jpg
Be be honest it would be better if you took the devices off and send me a pic!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No Problem, give me a few minutes to do that.
Why is there three blacks and two whites? And which are your switch legs?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really don't know, only 2 of the blacks are hot. The other one controls a light.
What are switch legs?
The wires that go to the lights from the switch!

Sorry for the delay!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The unmarked black wire and the top white wire.

Ok!

This there a tap between the copper screws ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the switch or outlet?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well there's one on both actually.

Can you send me a pic of the switch?

Ok ! try this!

Do you want the whole receptacle to be on a switch or just one half ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd like to have both switches work unless it will interupt the outlet from working correctly

It will work right but do you want the whole receptacle to work on the switch or just half on the switch and the other all of the time!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think half and all the time.

One hot needs to be pigtailed for the switch and half power of the receptacle!

The other goes to the switch!

The one wires for the lights go to a sliver screw on the switch!

The other light wire needs to be pigtailed with a wire to half the receptacle and half the switch!

Do you follow so far?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pretty much except how do I pigtail?

And the neutral goes to the silver screw on the receptacle!

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a 5 star rating before you sign off today!

Thanks !

George

Did it work ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to get some copper wire, but otherwise I think it will.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For the pigtail do I need to strip the main wire or just cut a bit of the casing off?

If you have romex you should strip the jacket off ! You can small lengths of wire at Home depot!

You need wire nuts too!

Please rate me before you sign off today !

Thanks !

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do, thanks for your help.
George Smith
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician