Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Two electrical questions: I would like to have a simple wall…

Two electrical questions: I would...
Two electrical questions: I would like to have a simple wall exhaust fan(like in a bathroom) installed in a bedroom where the cat boxes are for dust/odor removal. Is this possible?Also, we will moving into a manufactured home, thus sloped walls, ceilings. I would like to install 1 or 2 more ceiling fans into bedrooms, the house came with two. I noticed the base has the part to allow this type of slanted installation. Can I purchase any type of ceiling fan , as long as this adaptor is installed ?Thank you
3/14/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Yes you can install an exhaust fan in the room, however you need to make sure it can be vented outside. As for the ceiling fan, you should be able to that fairly easy provided the fan has a down rod type adapter. It will require replacing the existing down rod that usually comes with the fan, and depending on how far down you want the fan you may need to rewire it. Also note the longer you go the move out of balance the fan becomes, so you will most likely need to balance the blades to minimize wobble.

Will an electrician be able to install a vent in a bedroom and a manuf.home wall? Can it be up as high as the the ceiling wall intersection. Is this a lengthy or expensive project? What will the outside of the exhaust fan look like ?
So as for fans , at the time of getting an electrician, I can get what fan I like (not too long a drop) and do I buy the adaptor or do they provide?

Most fans are installed on the ceiling since their is usually sufficient access to run wires and ducting for the fan. If the ceiling is not accessible, then the fan can be installed on the wall, however the exhaust needs to vent outside. Most fans 50-80CFMs (typical bathroom fan) work best at a height 7-9' any higher and they do not have the pulling power to vent.

Cost wise is based on the easiness of the installation and how accessible the wires are, drywall patching etc. A fair price for a licensed electrician is $65-85/hr plus supplies

That's even better for exhaust fan to be on the ceiling. I'm glad. The height there at the edge is about 7' , so that will work well.As for ceiling fans : at the time of getting an electrician, I can get what ceiling fan I like (not too long a drop) and do I buy the adaptor or do they have to provide?

You can get the length and color down rod you want and replace the standard 4-6" one that comes with the fan (provided it is not a hugger only type), pretty easy to do.

Just following up as to whether this information was helpful in answering your question, or do you still need assistance? Please let me know by replying in the box below.

Thanks

Dave

I can pick out any fan I want ( bearing in mind I don't want too long or low) and then purchase the "downrod" at a Lowes or Home Depot also? Then call the electrician?
That will be all

Yes... If you go to HD website and type in down rod it will give you several examples of color and length. Most fans come with around 30-36" of excess wire, if you need longer, then plan on rewiring the fan.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave