Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can a common if grounded in a main box be used as a ground…

Customer Question
Can a common if...

Can a common if grounded in a main box be used as a ground on and outlet

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just a little while

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/13/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 5 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The ground at the panel is where all grounds are connected.

The common or white is also grounded at the panel boxing trying to get a grounded outlet

In the main service panel the neutral and ground can be on the same bar. That is where the neutral originates.

if I connect neural and ground in outlet it shows on tester that it is correct, do you see and problems with that

The only place they can be together is at the panel. At an outlet they are 2 separate conductors. White neutral, bare or green ground conductor

Both the neutral and the ground will show 120V to the hot wire.

What results would you get
I’m showing 120 on neutral and ground (return) at main box

That's what you should get. The neutral is current carrying and the ground isnt, but both read the same.