Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Need help wiring up a fan-heater unit for a bathroom.

Schematic leads me to believe...
Need help wiring up a fan-heater unit for a bathroom. Schematic leads me to believe no white (neutral), or bare (ground) wires will have to enter switch box on wall. Looks like only 1 black (hot) wire will come into wall switch box, and 3 switched hot wires (also black I think) out to fan-heater unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Junction box inside fan-heater is circled.
3/13/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

You do not need a neutral or ground wire in the switch box provided those wires go into the fan unit, then there is a wire and return wire from the fan to the switch back to the fan. If you are doing this using Romex let me know so you can clearly identify the circuitry.

I have a Romex 12-2 with bare ground wire going from the circuit breaker box directly to the fan unit. I think that one is correct. I think I over wired the switch box. I am not using the combo 3 rocker switch that came with the unit, but instead am using a regular single rocker switch to control the light in the unit, and 2 mechanical timer switches, one to control the fan in the unit, and the other to control the heater in the unit, so they dont get left on. I wired a 14/3 romex to each of these switches, but dont think I needed to, now the switch box is very crowded with wires. Would like to simplify and correct.

O​kay so you need to select a wire from the fan unit going to the switch box, not a white or ground wire, the choose a colored wire from the switch box to the fan, all you need is either a 14/2 or a 12/2

Ok, sounds good, can I use the same hot wire coming into the switch box from the fan, and piggy back it across all 3 switches on their line terminals?
that is the standard method
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician
Ok, thanks for helping me figure this out. I will let you know if any other questions arise regarding this.

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave