Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Last storm the electric went out and our sump pump stopped…

Last storm the electric went...
Last storm the electric went out and our sump pump stopped working, the basement flooded, destroyed our washer and required a significant repair to our furnace. Another storm is already upon us. I thought I'd run out to the store and see if I can get a generator or a battery backup. Could you use your help in narrowing it down quickly. I don't understand the inverter thing. I have one purpose, to keep the sump pump going.*Wondering if a battery back-up (like for my computer) would keep it running for a few hours if the power goes out.*It does not have to be an automatic take-over. I am fine with switching the plug over and starting up a generator or battery backup.*The generator should be ok to use indoor if that is possible. No easy access to keep it outside.*I don't know the specs of the sump pump for wattage, I believe it may be 1/2 HP or better, the plumber said it was powerful because I get better than 6 inches of water.Could you help steer me to an affordable, easy, quick fix? :) Inverter? Inside? Battery? Quiet? Safe?Thank you
3/12/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) If your sump well is a large enough diameter to hold 2 separate pumps, I recommend to purchase a separate battery backup pump. Stay away from the combined electric and battery models as you would be putting all of your eggs in one basket. The combo models use the same pump. An individual battery backup is best. Purchase the largest pumping gallons per hour (GPH) and/or motor horsepower rating that your budget will allow.

Shown in the link below is a popular battery backup sump pump brand. The Basement Watchdog. I have this model in my basement and it has saved me on many occasions during a power outage. Of course there are many other battery backup sump pump brands and models. Ask your plumber for his recommendations.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-0-33-HP-Special-Battery-Backup-Sump-Pump-System-BWSP/100067307

2) Battery backup pumps also require a Deep Cycle battery that is only rated in AH (amp hours). Get the highest AH rating that your budget can afford. The higher the AH rating, the longer the run time for the battery pump. Do not use auto or marine batteries as these 2 are rated in cold cranking amps and are not sufficient for multiple re-charging and discharging cycles. The battery needs to be 100% Deep Cycle only.

3) Gasoline generators are not allowed to be used indoors as they emit carbon monoxide and death can occur. Generators are only and always used on the outside of the home. A portable gas powered generator is also a good source of backup power. If purchasing a generator, get a 4 stroke motor. If budget allows, I recommend a minimum of a 5kW generator which will provide for 5000 watts and 30 amps. This type can also provide power to other critical circuits such as the fridge or gas furnace, lighting, etc.

4) Your computer backup is called a UPS and these are not used for sump pump applications.

5) I don't recommend an inverter as these can get expensive. Plus you would have to be at home to switch the electric pump cord over to the inverter receptacle. With a battery backup pump, you can be out of the home during a power outage and the battery pump will automatically turn ON if needed.

Kevin - that is a lot of really good and thorough information. You have already earned your 5 stars!
Unfortunately, my sump pump is currently plumbed is an add-on fix. Due to construction up the street, the water tables seemed to have shifted and have decades of no water, now it's like a swamp. The sump pump was dug in using a trash barrel and is currently pumped out the drain pipe because there is no where to send the water. I have to get the town to install a main drain pipe I guess for appropriate removal of the water. In short, there is no place for another pump without digging a second hole and getting a plumber to connect it to pipes again.From your comments, the batter backup sump pumps seems like the best option. If I can't do that... at least not now. Is there even a second choice? Perhaps one of these heavy duty batteries used for camping or something?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA4YVNP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01MA4YVNP&pd_rd_wg=VJhkf&pd_rd_r=WHPC422N2PDZCSG0VP95&pd_rd_w=j0jZqSounds like I need to plan a longer term solution! Thanks again

Thanks for the replies.

1) Since the pit is only large enough to accommodate (1) one pump, then no other choice but to get a combo battery backup pump which has dual functions.......ie.... 120 volt powered and 12 VDC battery powered.

2) The portable inverter shown in the pic has too small of a battery. It is only rated at 31 Amp Hours. That small of an AH rating will not last on numerous pumping cycles if needed. Plus, someone still has to be at home to unplug the 120 volt pump from the wall receptacle and plug the pump cord into the inverter.

I recommend a higher battery AH rating such as this model sold at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-75-Amp-Hour-Maintenance-Free-Battery-WSB1275/100661339

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Thank you again. Great info.

No problem, glad to assist.

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening............Thanks again............Kevin:)