Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My tenant had a spike and their electric bill practically…

Customer Question
My tenant had a spike...
My tenant had a spike and their electric bill practically doubling with an increase of 2500 kilowatt hours in one month. They have for baseboard heaters they say or turned off period an oil furnace. They said the electric company said this is probably faulty wiring but could faulty wiring lead to that much power and if so at what rate and if it was that kind of rate went that generate heat or some indication of where the fault is? What would be a good test to identify where this fault is if it exists?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
3/12/2018
Electrician: john s, Service Technician replied 1 month ago
john s
john s, Service Technician

Did they use electric heaters instead of the oil furnace?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said they were left as they were a year ago so maybe on or off but nothing added or new. Can a faulty wire account for 2500kwh of usage?

No way?.?they are doing something ...or a failing fridge...sounds like electric heaters are cranked

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My contractor saw that when they tap the wall the ceiling light comes on, this potential loose wire in switch or ceiling fan light is what the tenant claims is running up their bill. What's best way to discover cause and determine if it could create this faulty condition and realistically how much wasted electric as result running their bill 2500 kWh over last year? Thx.

That sounds like a short in the switch... Unplug everything in the house and see if the meter still moves..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could the short cause such a high electric Bill? If tapping the wall makes the ceiling light go on where would I best look to find cause?

I doubt it...I can almost guarantee the spike is from heaters...if the wire goes straight from switch to the fan. It's the fan or the switch

john s
john s
john s, Service Technician