Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a British-made industrial oven with electric heater…

I have a British-made industrial...
I have a British-made industrial oven with electric heater elements. According to the operator's manual, the 3-wire cord should be hooked up to: Live (230V), Neutral, and Ground. Since the unit is made in the UK, their 230V system is a bit different from ours. As I understand it, the US system has +120V, neutral, and -120V with the difference between the +120V and -120V equalling 240V and neutral not used unless it's to power 120V accessories which my industrial oven does not have. I would like to hook up this industrial oven in my garage to a dedicated electric drier circuit (old house, only a 3 wire system with a neutral but no ground). It seems to me that trying to hook up my oven to this power source could be a problem. The 3rd prong is a neutral so I can't hook my ground wire to it, correct? And if I hook up the neutral wire from the oven to the neutral wire of the drier circuit and the live wire to one of the the live wires of the drier circuit, then I'll only be getting 120V. My question is, can I hook up the live wire from the oven to one of the live wires of the drier circuit, hook up the neutral wire from the oven to the other live wire of the drier circuit (to give me 240V), and hook a jumper wire from the ground wire of the oven to the grounded box of an adjacent 120V grounded outlet?
3/12/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George let me look at your question!

I would think you're right! Without seeing the wiring on the heat elements ! They are rated for 230v so it's not that big of a difference! Do you know the actual voltage in the garage?

No, I don't know the actual voltage in the garage. I realize that the heating elements may not quite reach design temperature if my voltage is lower than spec'd, but it shouldn't hurt anything, right?You mention that you would think I'm right 'without seeing the wiring on the heat elements'. That implies that perhaps, depending on how they're wired, that maybe I could be wrong. How could the heating elements be wired differently? Is there a danger to me from a safety standpoint? How could I find out how the heating elements are wired? There is no detail about their wiring in the manual other than how to hook them up. Would taking the oven apart to see how the elements are wired give us the answer? What would I be looking for?

Can you send me a pic of the wiring and the heat elements?

They shouldn't be wired differently but I can't guess! There should be a wire on each end of the elements or banks of element!

However they are wired or connected to each other there should be a wire on each side or on each set!

I just want you to make sure ! You may have to reconfigure neutrals because you're using some as hots now! I'm more concerned about the neutrals!

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Okay, I'm going out to the garage to see how hard it is to gain access to the wiring. Back in a bit!
Phone call session started

Thanks for the positive rating !

Please feel free to ask for me personally if you have any more question !

Thanks !

George