Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My furnace isn't working and i isolated it to the circuit.

Hi. My furnace isn't...

Hi. My furnace isn't working and i isolated it to the circuit. It's not getting any power for some reason. I turned off the breaker to that unit but have no way of replacing that 15 amp line. I have a central vac using a 20amp line. can i use that since i do not use the central vac to use as a replacement for the feed

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes, filter is clean, thermostat is working. i checked with my voltmeter and there is no juice on that line anylonger

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure but wanted to know my options

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No i just wanted that question answered really

3/12/2018
Rick
Rick, Electrical Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The furnace requires a dedicated circuit. If you want to swap the vac for the furnace you can use the vac circuit.

the difference in amps won't be an issue? so long as it's dedicated?

A 20 amp circuit can handle more of a load than a 15 so it's actually better.

I had heard from friends its not good to go with more is better when it came to electricity but wanted to make sure.

Ok, you're friends are misinformed.

Thank you. I'll use that for now and when i have the chance i'll run a new purely dedicated circuit so i'm not using the vac

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, Electrical Technician