Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to install a standard light fixture. It has one…

Customer Question
Hello- I am trying...

Hello- I am trying to install a standard light fixture. It has one white wire, one black, and a ground wire. The wires coming from the electrical box in the ceiling however have 2 white 2 black and a yellow wire.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

15-20 years and no

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It appears this is a "loop" system if that helps

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
3/12/2018
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 month ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..............do you reside in the US or United Kingdom? or other?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
US. There are 4 fixture on the same 'loop' if that helps.The first one is wired and working
the second has 2 black wires, 2 white, and one yellow- Im not able to figure out
the third has 3 red and 1 white- not able to figure out
and the 4th I have decided not to install a fixture

do you have a tester like this one CLICK HERE two prong

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can go pick one up now. Could you tell me how to use and what to look for?

do you think we could do this by phone?...........Just Answer requires an additional charge...........would you be okay with that ?

I don't get why you have different colored wires

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to clarify. I am installing ceiling light fixtures. Not outlets

so is what you are telling me now is that the wires INSIDE of the fixture are different colors?

they are too small a picture .............is there any way you can send them bigger or that I can zoom in ?

now its too big ............but I think I can manage...........now........the yellow or red wires are ONLY coming from the ceiling box and not any part from the fixture ?

what was connected to these ceiling boxes previously ?..........the one with the 3 red ....was there a fan on that?...........and do you have a dual wall switch in the room ?

just out of curiosity how did you mark those wires white, yellow and reds?........no need to do that anymore I thought something was hanging from the box

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is one dual switch and one single switch that controls all 4 lights. 2 of the 4 lights are controlled by the same single switch.previously there were 4 a standard track lights connected to each box

could you take a couple of photos of the new fixtures for me?

I was meaning you marked them on the photo..........how was that done?

you are going to need that tester or if you have something around the house like this CLICK HERE we could make it work also

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was marked using the edit screenshot feature on the iphone.
I can pick up either of those items.
Could you walk me through how to install the socket?

okay .....on an IPhone.......now I get it

how long will it take you to pick them up ......I would get both they don't cost that much

once you get back we can hook up again and we will get you hooked up ........just give me a time and what state do you live in ........or tell me an hour or so........i am in NY ...EST

and before you take off....lets figure out what else you may need...........do you have wire caps?.......electrical tape?........a bulb for that socket ?...........are your wall switches in good working order?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have everything else. The new fixture does have a bulb socket. Do I still need another one?I can get this afternoon and reconnect tomorrow around 9am EST if your available? I'm in Chicago

that socket you are picking up will be used as a tester because I do not want to blow out those expensive bulbs that are for the fixture .............I can be here in the afternoon or I will make myself available tomorrow morning also

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!

contact me back here so I know when you are in .......if tell me a time and I will do my best to hook up with you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would tomorrow at 9am EST work?

sure I'm up a 4am lol..............I'm part vampire

Sorry I missed the time this morning I had to shovel out my daughter ......let me know where we are at and I will do my best to hook up again

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor