Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Up! How are you? So im trying to figure out if i should

Hey whats up Kevin! How...
Hey whats up Kevin! How are you? So im trying to figure out if i should upgrade my panel prior to renting one of the floors out.
3/12/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

Doing good on my end Joe, Hope things are going well for you.

1) Can you provide me with some details and/or concerns for a possible panel upgrade?

A) Older panel?

B) Load capacity issues?

C) Insufficient amount of breakers?

D) Overloaded circuits?

Pretty much just overall concern that 200amps wont be enough once i add all the stuff from the new remodeled floor

Thanks for the reply.

1) As you are aware, the service amperage is based on such factors as the habitable square footage in the home plus all of the higher electrical loads such as electric dryers, electric ovens, motors, electric hot water heaters, etc. Electrical appliances generate higher wattage which in return requires more amps. Circuit quantities will also increase the size of the electrical panel.

2) If you can give me a breakout of the following, I can do a load calculation based on the existing and future loads for the home:

A) What is the approximate habitable square footage of the home?

B) Electrical appliances? I will need quantities, wattage ratings (if not standard ratings), type of appliances? Any electric dryers or baseboard heaters or electric hot water heaters or electric ovens, etc?

Lemme take inventory on that in the morning and get back with you. I havta really think about it for a little bit.
Or how bout this

1) In addition, you can also measure the amount of amps by using a clamp-on amp meter on the 2 main service conductors at the electrical panel. In order to do this, get the home under Full Load as much as possible. This means turning ON every light, TV, oven, dishwasher, microwave, radios, computers, ceiling fans, etc. In other words, energize as much as possible.

2) Once energized, remove the door from the panel. Clamp the amp meter around the each of the 2 hot mains terminating to the main breaker and get an amp measurement. If the panel is properly balanced, both hots should be within + or - maybe 40 or 50 amps of each other.

3) Keep in mind that on a 200 amp service, each of the 2 hot main service wires will support a maximum load of 200 amps each. For example, if the home is under Full Load, you may measure, let's say 120 amps on one phase and only 90 amps on the 2nd phase. Take the higher amp measurement and subtract it from 200. So a good estimate of the remaining amps would be 200 -120 = approximately 80 remaining amps. The Full Load measurement will give you a good idea of the remaining amps prior to possibly requiring an upgrade.

No problem, reply back to me when you have an opportunity and we can continue.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Im gonna have about 20 can lights, the usual fridge, stove diswasher and washer dryer in my new unit. What would be a good size sub panel for that floor?

1) Will the stove and dryer both be electric models or gas models?

2) Will the can lights use LED's or CFL or incandescent bulbs?

3) I assume the floor will have a dedicated kitchen, correct?

Correct, dedicated kitchen 100%, the stove and dryer will be electric and the lights i havent picked up yet so could go either way

Thanks.

1) The kitchen countertop receptacles will require a minimum of two (2) dedicated 20 amp circuits. The kitchen lighting will require a separate 15 amp circuit that can be shared with maybe the living room and/or bedroom lighting.

2) The dryer will require a dedicated 30 amp circuit

3) The range will require either a dedicated 40 or 50 amp circuit (depending upon wattage)

4) Dishwasher will require either a dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuit (depends upon wattage rating of the DW)

5) The bathroom will require one dedicated 20 amp circuit

As you can see, the amps are starting to increase. The largest loads will be the electric range and electric dryer. You will probably end up with requiring 100 amps, possibly a little less.

Yeah i was gonna use this extra 125 amp panel i have. Sounds like it should be sufficient.
Ill get back to ya later this a.m.

1) New code also requires AFCI protection for all of the 120 volt (15 and 20 amp branch circuits) in all habitable portions of the floor.

2) I agree, 125 amps should be more than sufficient.

No problem, talk to you later on Joe. Take care for now...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Hey Kevin,
Im gonna take a full inventory of all things electric when i get home in the morning so we can figure out if the 200amp service panel is gonna be sufficient.

OK, very good Joe.

We'll talk to you tomorrow.........Thanks............Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Hey whats up kevin
Im taking talley on everything right now so we can figure this out

1) I will need the following:

A) Approximate habitable square footage of the home?

B) The electrical wattages and quantities of electrical appliances such as hot water heater, electric heating, electric ranges, countertop or ovens, electric dryers, quantity of kitchens and laundry areas?

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor